Ilford Art 300

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Ryan Montgomery, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ryan Montgomery

Ryan Montgomery Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We just received this and I am in love!

The quality of this paper is amazing, and when I developed it in warmtone :tongue:

Anyone else using this paper?

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think a lot of comments were made on this under a thread labelled the same or similar to your label. Might be worth a search

pentaxuser

3. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just tried it for a postcard exchange and I love it!
    The texture is beautiful, it tones nicely and is just all round fun to print with.
    I'm still looking for a way to keep it from floating in the wash but that's a minor detail.
    Another Ilford product that will be in my regular routine.

4. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, just done a couple of prints and it sure is nice. Tones well in selenium and the paper just plain feels good.

5. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got a photo frim the poscard exchange. Amazing paper! Quite expansive, unfortunately.

6. Ryan Montgomery

Ryan Montgomery Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oops, Sorry! Over excitement!

It's not a cheap paper by any means, but my word it's something special. I printed a wedding image on an 8x10 and have been showing it to clients and they love it so I think it'll sell for a premium.

7. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Ryan,

Very pleased you like it......if you wash in an upright archival washer just clip a film weight to the bottom of the print, thats what our tech service and QC people do...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

8. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got my card from Rob Skeoch this morning about 10 mins after I posted.

Firstly : great shot and thank you.

The ART 300 looks really good ( I thought it may be a bit small ) I print ART 300 big ( I don't mean to be an a**e but then why would'nt I print big...) and it held up very well in the post....( and the Royal Mail d***l print they put on did'nt stick to the front...? ).

Thanks again.

PS Absolutely Loved the Canada Post / Postes Canada stamp....

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's expensive but not out of line for a premium paper. I'd just like to see smaller sheet count packs so I could try it out without spending so much.

10. Ryan Montgomery

Ryan Montgomery Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's funny that, we got a load of requests from students wanting us to split up the 8x10 boxes into packs of ten, it wasn't a big hassle for us to do it. We haven't offered it online yet though but maybe we should?!

11. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

Lovely paper. I like it a lot, but the surface must be paired to the image. I showed a print to a fellow and he purchased a package of 16x20 sheets the next day!

Roger: Freestyle carries the 11x14 size in a 10 sheet package.

Neal Wydra

12. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might be a good idea, but I doubt it would help me. By the time I paid shipping plus the paradoxically higher-over-there prices, I'd be better off just buying the full pack here! But I could see the appeal for locals.

13. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will print on this paper later today, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Trond

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MichaelR

MichaelR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ilford Art 300 and ilford warmtone developer

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the new Ilford Art 300 paper with Ilford(Harman) Warmtone developer. I have gotten an almost sepia like quality to prints on Ilford FB warmtone with that developer, and was wondering if I would see the same affect on the Art 300. I noticed that Warmtone developer was not mentioned in the package insert for the paper, so I wanted to make sure there was no problem in using it.

16. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear MichaelR,

Yup I have seen prints done with Warmtone developer, I am biased obviously but I think they look great ( even though I personally favour cooler print tones, always have ) I really do like ART 300 paper though, ART 300 will not be as 'warm' as warmtone with MGFBWT.

Thnaks for using our products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

17. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Humm, I routinely use Ilford WT developer with WTFB and I certainly wouldn't call it sepia. Warm, certainly, but still with a bit of olive I prefer to remove. 15-20 seconds in 1/8th strength brown toner does the trick for me for a subtle brown I like very much. If I want a more overt brown/sepia I tone longer and/or in stronger toner.

I used to prefer cold tones but have been on a warm tone kick of late. I find I like cold tones for some things (landscapes with lots of water or rocks or sky, for example) and warm for other things (most portraits, architecture or still lifes featuring prominent wood, some landscapes with trees etc.) What I don't have much use for most of the time anymore is a neutral tone.

I've been meaning to try MGIV Cooltone RC - if it's as cold as I've read I could really like it for some things. I'd be more enthused about trying it if I knew I could get it in 16x20 if I liked it (which I can't) and in FB (even more so and ditto.)

I recall reading that Kentmere FB gives a good cool tone in selenium. Need to try that.

I received a print on ART 300 via the print exchange on FADU and it really looks like a great paper. Another thing to try in my "abundant" darkroom time.

BTW, I see this always written in all caps, ART. Is "ART" an acronym or is there another reason, or no real reason?

18. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Roger,

ART in caps is how we do it...all product descriptors in our PORTFOLIO have to be in caps, I sometimes lapse but its part of the way we have always done it.....why? lost in the mists of time I think....but I like 'tradition'....

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

19. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Just finished an opening here at Arta Gallery and sold a couple of murals on this paper... Lots of comments like they were incredible inkjet prints , lovely texture and so on.
    Few of my fussy friends really liked the paper... I am sold on this product , really fits into my wheelhouse so to speak.

20. MichaelR

MichaelR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your responses. I also want to thank Simon Galley for participating in this forum. I think it is really fantastic to have a knowlegeable company representative so easily reachable. The paper just arrived and I will try it both in warmtone and regular developers to see which works best for what I am trying to print. Regards to all, Michael

21. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I look forward to seeing your results Michael, I've enjoyed ART300 in Dektol and have been trying to find time to spend in the darkroom with WT developer. I have a feeling it'll be a great combination.

22. Bateleur

Bateleur Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Drums fingers on table, wondering when will the paper be available in the Netherlands? Maybe our local distributor is sleeping?

23. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Charles,

Our distributor in the Netherlands ( Benelux ) has ordered strongly since it was launched a year ago, if you ask your local reseller to order it in from them they have it in stock.

24. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I've used several boxes of 11x14 and a good share of 16x20. I have tried it last week with hybrid negs with great results as well, but I do prefer the optical negatives as they really are better quality prints. (that has nothing to do with the paper,btw, but the neg itself, of course)

I would like to see some larger boxes of 20x24 and maybe even rolls. (at present, I don't know if they are available)

Truly one of the coolest products on the analog market. I would love love love to see some other papers like this come to market, like Arches Platine. mmmmm

Great stuff all around.

25. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Robert

It does come in 48 inch by 60 ft rolls , we cut it in half and used it for 20 x24 prints ... I do not recommend the casual user try's this btw. I really like this paper

26. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Didn't think of that, Bob, great idea. I can manage cutting that with no problem.

Thanks!