Ilford color film?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Iluvmycam, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As the choices for color film shrinks, do you think Ilford will start making color film? Have they ever done any work in color film development?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Ilford used to make colour film but they've no plans to return to that sector of the market.

Ian

3. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How was their color film?

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It was colour.

Steve.

5. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... Never been a fan of colour film. Personally, color film just suits my style better.

6. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]

7. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I genuinely had to read that a good five times before I got it.

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nick had better hope Kodak sticks around then, if he wants U-free color film. :smile:

9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The original Ilford Colour Slide film (up to the early 1960's) was a similar process to older Kodachrome....I have some slides taken by my Grandfather which still look great. Later versions and their colour negative films went through various forms, and (according to my Dad) lagged behind the market leaders Kodak (and Agfa). I believe the last of their colour neg film was an own-label version from Konica?

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a roll of Ilfochrome that I need to process, it was rebadged E6 film, Ilford have had links with Fuji & Konica. They made some Fuji B&W folms at one point, they've also made B&W paper for Japanese companies. Ilford aimed to return to the colour market in the late 1970's or very early 80's and so began marketing rebadged negative and positive colour films, they even had a designated piece of land (still empty) at Mobberly for a possible colour coating facility.

When I was in Istanbul about 3 years ago there was Ilford colour film on the shelves of the Turkish importer, I should have bought a few rolls.

Ian

11. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really hope Harman/Ilford won't get into making colour stuff. I think that would be a bad idea.

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.

13. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could they do it?

Of course they could. It wouldn't even be a first for them.

Should they do it?

Absolutely not... right now.

Would they do it?

One of the things I've learned in life is that things almost never happen for the reasons you think or expect them to happen. Outcomes are rarely orderly and/or predictable. But conversely, things DO always happen for a reason. And when they do happen the reasons behind are often astounding in their occurrence.

So what if there were no more color film? Or even colour film? No more consumer film. No more motion picture film. Nothing. But there still remained a small but viable niche of ardent film photographers with film cameras, some available disposable income, and a yearning for the old days?

Color/colour film? They've done it before. According to Ian, they were poised to do it again in the early 80s. It looks like they even had a poster at one time. There wouldn't be any other major competition. Maybe the world economy would by then have improved. Their black & white brand and their company reputation are now the gold standard. Their customer base is so loyal and trusting that they'd probably let the company babysit their kids to free up time for Ilford color/colour photography.

I dunno'. You tell me...

Would they do it?

Ken

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's because you don't drive on the wrong side of the road:D

pentauser

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Technically they seem to be way behind the big ones concerning coating technology. At least at first sight that would make them less productive than them.

17. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The bigger they come the bigger they fall. Maybe if all other companies abandoned or go out of business and they are the only producer, they could succeed.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. Especially as productivity is related to volume. The high productivity of the big ones was coupled to high volumes.

19. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That they are less productive than the big ones is the main reason they have survived.

Could they do it by tomorrow? Probably not. Could they do it profitably? That would depend on us. Would they do it? Another question entirely.

But merely speculating could they—with apologies to Nike—Just Do It? Given sufficient time, resources, market, will?

I dunno'. Maybe? I wouldn't bet against it.

Ken

20. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look how quickly the black-and-white user base migrated over to Harman. Migrated even away from the staggeringly high-quality (remaining) choices available from Kodak, et al. Why did that happen? Because of the perception of stability. A perceived guarantee——or as much of a guarantee as one can give these days—of reliable, high-quality product availability into the future.

Do you think that same phenomenon might also happen if they someday introduced a quality color offering? And for exactly the same reasons?

Ken

21. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tend to worry. I don't think there is a future for analog colour materials so I really wouldn't want to see a great B&W manufacturer anywhere near it.

22. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a pretty big generalization there. It's not like the "black and white user base" completely abandoned Kodak and Fuji. Last I checked, Tri-X and Tmax are still being sold and used by many.

23. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A while back, Simon Galley answered this very question on APUG. He said that Ilford (Harman) had no intention to enter the color film market. They did make Ilfochrome dye bleach paper for the Swiss IIRC and it was a pain to produce.

They do not have the equipment nor the capacity to coat color products on a WW scale, and expansion is expensive for this sort of thing. Kodak has a plant at Harrow which could do the job if Ilford (harman) leased time. IDK how that would work though.

BTW, Kodak Endura paper is made at Harrow and the boxes are marked "color" not "colour". It saves a pretty pence by leaving out one useless letter. :D

PE

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sentiments exactly. Why waste a perfectly good vowel.

25. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps.

But then on the other hand, it's not like Harman continues to slowly but surely discontinue products from their film lines either. Large numbers of Ilford brand b&w users are not migrating to Kodak due to a perception of greater long-term film product availability.

What was that about "1000 cuts?"

Ken

26. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's why I said "absolutely not." Today would indeed be a horrible point in time.

But what about five years into the future, as opposed to "a while back." Things change. Changes come unexpectedly. And usually from the least expected directions. (Just ask Mr. Perez.)

How long was that recent Kodak motion picture stock contract supposed to last? How about after that expires and the theater conversions are complete and all projection is done digitally. How about then?

Or how about after the final Portra film line has eventually been discontinued and there are no other still photography color options left? How about then?

It's dangerous to assume that the world will always be exactly as it is/was at any given moment in history.

Ken