Ilford direct positive paper for printing?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sly, Dec 10, 2011.

1. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been printing some old negatives for a client. He would like some prints from B&W slides as well. Would the Ilford direct positive paper work for this, or is it too contrasty? This person is adamant that they don't want scanning and inkjet prints.

It's great to be working with someone who appreciates the difference between analogue and digital. Some of the negatives are glass plates and go back 100 years to the early days of one of BC's northern communities. Interesting stuff.

2. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't tried it, but I would guess it's too contrasty. But it's relatively simple to make a contrast reducing mask from a fine grained black and white film such as TMY or FP4.

I hope to start playing with the couple boxes of this paper i just received. But I don't have any black and white transparencies to test with.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i haven't used the ilford dp paper yet either but l gebhardt is right, it is wicked contrasty, at least
    for "normal" photography. you could always flash the paper and use it in semi-exhausted or weak
    paper developer and do some tests. another thing you might do, to reprint the images is
    to make negatives either contact or enlarged ( paper negatives that is ) and then contact print the paper negatives
    onto regular photo paper. it isn't hard, and once you get the hang of what a good paper negative looks like
    it is really pretty easy ...

good luck !
    john