Ilford FB Paper?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ToddB, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK.. This question piggy abacks on Ilford paper swatch. I actually emailed the company about swatch and haven't heard anything and from you guys , it sounds like swatches fell victim to money expensences? Anyway.. thier paper choice are vast. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great classic FB paper that has a slight eggshell finish that producesses beautiful blacks?

ToddB

2. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear ToddB,

Sorry we didnt get back to you....not like us ( I have these things checked !)

We still make swatched containing all our products, they are a bit rare as they cost about $ 33.00 each to make and our distributors have to purchase them from us, most resellers have them clamped near the paper stocks.

please PM me your home address and I will see what I can do.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

3. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB. Not exactly the eggshell finish that you might expect, but pretty close. Nice blacks, too.

4. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with this one, too.

5. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know it's in fashion to lament long gone papers, but MGWT is one of the finest papers ever produced.

6. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, MGWT. I try other stuff, and keep coming back to it.

7. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second this. Beautiful prints come out on this (but that's subjective). If you tone it with Ilford's selenium toner, the blacks comes out a richer dark purple.

8. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Multigrade warmtone FB with the semi-matte surface is probably the nearest to an eggshell finish.

There is also Multigrade Art 300 for something that is different from the rest. :smile:

9. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have negatives that can print on grades 2 or 3 and don't require split filter printing , Ilford Galerie is outstanding. Perhaps not ordinary eggshell but that all depends on what hens you have.

Karl-Gustaf

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All of the Ilford papers yield beautiful blacks, but compared to for example Forte or Agfa the shadows are a little veiled and not as clearly defined. I like the sort of mystery that adds to the prints, and all of the Ilford papers can be coaxed into very deep and rich blacks that give a real anchor to the content.

Some eggs are almost flat matte, and some are almost glossy... :smile: The Warmtone semimatte paper is nice if you don't mind a green/brown type of image color with most developers. This can be neutralized with gold toner, sepia toner, Moersch Carbon, or selenium toner. You will get other colors instead, but the green will be gone.
    The regular Ilford MGIV matte is a fair bit flatter in surface, but it is my favorite Ilford paper. When I print on it I always assume I'm going to tone it afterward. If I don't I rarely like the results. It isn't until I use either selenium toner on its own, or selenium in combination with Moersch Carbon or sepia/thiourea toner that I feel that this paper gives its best. What happens to the blacks when I do tone it is almost miraculous. It turns from slightly flat to rich and lucious, and with beautiful colors. The highlights really start to pop too. The matte paper is just beautiful when you hold it in your hand, the surface feels great to the touch, and it looks so nice to the eye. Understated perfection and very subtle beauty.

11. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford ART 300 is supposed to have a textured eggshell finish.

12. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could call it that, but the surface is shiny, so the texture has to deal with reflection.
    This means that no matter what angle you look at a darker print, there is a sheen in the shadows. The blacks are nice, but you are prevented, to an extent, from seeing into the shadows.

13. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks again for the advice. I went to B and H photo and put 16x20 MGWT paper on my wish list.

Todd