Ilford film at 7 day shop?

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Mark Antony, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I tried to order some Ilford 120 film at 7 Day shop(my normal supplier). I have to say what I saw was a little shocking-no 120 film at all, all 35mm films listed as 'final stock'-very strange.
    I have fired off an e-mail for clarification of the future stocking of Ilford films, no answer as yet.
    Has anyone else any knowledge?

Mark

2. Paul Green

Paul Green Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi I emailed them on wednesday on the subject and no reply as of yet.

3. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest Ag Photographic for ILFORD films. Free delivery on orders over 100 GBP including VAT.

www.ag-photographic.co.uk

Tom

5. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom I also order from Ag, but would like to know if 7 Day shop are going to stock Ilford if not why?

6. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found that 7 day shop are not always particularly communicative. They have stopped carrying ILFORD 4"x5" film within the last 12 months or so. To my mind, the value proposition of 7dayshop has decreased in the last few years as their prices have come closer to mainstream UK based suppliers who can offer better customer service and faster supply.

Tom

7. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom
    I think you're right, I normally order from Ag or Mathers now because of the deletion of 4x5 FP4 and a couple of other lines from 7 day webshop.
    Its nice that Matt at Ag will actually pick up the phone and talk to you so I think in future he'll get my business, 7 day were good for ordering a couple of rolls of film you'd rarely use like Portra 800 which Ag only list in 5 packs.
    Still declining markets, mean less options I think getting behind people like Ag is the way to go.

8. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More recently I've been using 7dayshop just for odd items, films for tests etc. It doesn't really make sense to order 40 rolls of Delta 100 from 7dayshop for example.

Tom

9. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree.

I've had a few nightmares with '7 Day Shop', one of which nearly ruined a photography trip when an order took forever to arrive. Their customer service was hopeless when I tried to find out what was happenning. Stopped using them following that problem...

Cheers,
    Gavin

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just had a look as of 8:00pm tonight. There is still 120 in Pan F and no mention there of final stocks but the range of 35mm Ilford films seems low by 7dayshop standards and all have final stocks labels except 120 PanF. No problems with regards Fuji or Kodak in either 35mm or 120 in terms of stock and no mention of buy while stocks last or final stocks.

Pure speculation on my part but it might be that if 7dayshop use a third party supplier then that supplier is having difficulties on delivery or prices at which 7dayshop believes it can be competitive and still make a profit. If it orders direct from Ilford then the problems I have mentioned above may apply directly to the 7dayshop/Ilford relationship.

7dayshop always had a restricted range of Ilford papers as well i.e. RC in Gloss or Pearl only but Ilford papers seem to be in very limited supply and with clearance prices attached to the few sizes that remain.

It will of course all remain speculation until 7dayshop reply. However if there is a "difficulty" of the nature I have speculated about then we are unlikely to be given info on sensitive commercial relationships so we may never know.

pentaxuser

11. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mark - I need to order some "stuff" from Silverprint within the next week or so - If you need a brick or two of Ilford film, I'd be happy to add it to the order.

12. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Paul that's kind. What actually need is about 5 rolls of Delta 3200, I'll probably get it from Ag next week but thanks for your kind offer.
    I actually got a reply this evening from 7 day shop:-
    sorry no plans at this time to stock this item, regards customer service

At this time? The items I asked for were Delta 3200 and HP5+ I'd thought the HP5 would be one of the biggest selling B&W films...

Mark

13. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,

Warehouse Express has Delta 3200 in 120 in-stock if you need some urgently; fairly expensive though.

Tom

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I noticed a while back that all Ilford papers were being sold very cheaply on 7DS, I tried to buy some boxes of 5x7 and they went on back order for about a month and then the order was cancelled / refunded. They're no longer going to be stocking the paper was the message I got. I've always found Ilford to be priced rather high at 7DS, especially in comparison to AG photographic. I suppose it's the free postage which makes them cheaper in total. But you've got to put up with slow delivery and appalling communication. I recently bought some rolls of 800Z and I purposely ordered in multiples of 5 so they'd come boxed in the pro packs. But they didn't and they were loose, I emailed 7DS to find out the expiry dates but they didn't bother to reply. I had to email Fuji UK to get an idea. I think 7DS are the Ryan Air of retailers - cheap at times but awful service when things so slightly not as planned.

16. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pentax user.
    While the list Pan F in 120 they are on back order, and because the communication stated they have no plans (at this time) to re-stock HP5+ or Delta in 120 why would they put in an order for Pan F?

I think like others have said there are better dealers than 7 day with similar prices and faster shipping, I'd rather get my film within a few days of ordering than get free shipping.

Not to belabour the point (but I will anyhow):smile: Does anyone know an alternative retailer for the Kenro storage album and sleeves? Ag has the sleeves but not the slip album.
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=101548
    If anyone else knows an alternative I'd be grateful.
    Regards
    Mark

17. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. michael stevens

michael stevens Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  19. sarah@7dayshop

sarah@7dayshop Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Ilford Film

Hi everyone just to clarify that regrettably 7dayshop.com will no longer be stocking Ilford film in the future. As any remaining products sell out we are turning these offline and cannot foresee these items being re-stocked. The simple reason for this decision is that we were being told by Ilford UK that (for the 2nd time in less than 6 months), they were substantially increasing our buying prices. We felt that these increases were unacceptable and were way out of line with other manufacturers of black and white film prices. We also felt that 7dayshop.com were being targeted for paying higher prices as we typically sell film at discount prices. Additionally their film (which is made in the UK) was actually available on eBay.co.uk for less than we were being asked to pay from this seller who was based East Germany - let's just say the term "Rip Off Britain" came to mind !

So after more than 10 years of happily selling Ilford film 7dayshop.com decided not to support the brand anymore, we believed that Ilford were loosing touch with some of their core customers who really needed prices to be kept low (Students for example) and we felt that an effort was being made to push us out of the market. Its also interesting that Ilford have their own website where they sell film direct to their customers and this is something that we think you will see more and more of with the large manufacturers. But cutting out the middleman doesn't seem to have saved anyone any money yet !

I hope this helps for now !?

20. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,

I can't help with the Kenro products, but as an alternative, I've used the Printfile brand of negatives sleeves (much better than Clearfile), stored in Silverprint enclosed files.

Tom

21. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It is always disappointing when a retailer discontinues a line of products - It reduces the number of choices for us, the consumer.

22. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Tom, I know it sounds daft but I like the Kenro ones as I have a few already and would like them to match...

Sarah
    Thank you for finding the time to register and reply, its nice when retailers find the time to do that. I find it strange that Ag have Delta 400 35mm at £3.95 Mathers of Lancs are £3.99 yet you are a whole pound more expensive! How are those retailers making a profit if Ilford are indeed making their prices too expensive for you to stock. I find it hard to accept that Ilford would penalise just one supplier?
    Don't you ship from the channel Islands sans VAT? why the big price difference when mainland shops are cheaper with VAT?
    Very strange...

Mark

23. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember Harman did increase prices by up to 25% a while ago just for the UK market, however these increases didn't seem to directly translate to retail prices.

I had assumed 7dayshop made their money by selling at near UK prices, while taking the "VAT" component as revenue; and that postage costs are less than the difference.

Tom

24. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom I remember the price increase as before it I was paying under £2.00 for a roll of 120 HP5 after it was about £2.50-2.89.
    Last price I've seen at 7 day shop for Ilford 120 was north of £3.50
    I expect prices to increase, but it doesn't explain why Ag photographic have Delta 35mm listed at £3.95 which presumably is inclusive of VAT.
    Why should 7dayshop be £4.79 for the same product (which presumably is sans VAT as it ships from the Channel Islands split into bags worth less that £15)
    Surely if Ag and Mathers are £3.99(inc VAT) and 7 day are £4.99 (sans VAT) then either Ag/Mathers are undercharging (possible) or 7 Day are charging too much.
    I will say I find Ag and Mathers Ilford prices very competitive, possibly 7 day have discovered more price increases in the next stock order?
    Mark

25. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,

I've also been told Harman do not offer discounts on pricing to retailers so the plot thickens... One explanation might be that 7dayshop will sell you a single roll of film postage included for 4.79 GBP whereas Ag Photographic requires an order of 100 GBP for free delivery.

Tom

26. sarah@7dayshop

sarah@7dayshop Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi Again

I have just checked Mathers charge postage per order Small parcel - £2.95 <1Kg which would make the 1 roll of film £6.94

Ag charge £3.50 for lightweight orders, which would make them £7.45 a roll, obviously on a larger order this would spread the cost.

Hope this helps

Sarah