Ilford 'FILM CLIPPERS"

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by naaldvoerder, Jun 2, 2011.

1. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is a question for representitives of Ilford. Would it be an idea to market some sort of "film clipper", that would aid people who roll there own 35mm films? I<m thinking of a device that would cut the end of 35mm film from a roll of 17 or 30 meter into the exact shape that is at the cassette end of a single roll. I use reusable cassette's that have a similar shape and manner to attach the film to the spool of the casstte, as ilford rolls do. Such a "clipper" would be a great aid in fixing the film securely to the reusable film spool.

Hope to get a answer from Simon or anybody else from Ilford

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why the exact shape? I roll my own cassettes from 30m rolls, and just clip a triangluar section, perhaps no longer than 2" at the top, to create a 'film leader'. At the spool end, I have used masking tape, and black vinyl electrical tape. I now have a roll of 'blue max' film splicing tape, that is the perfect product. Sticks like mad to film, and only sparingly to anything else.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only some of the reels I have are ready for precut film. Tape works real well for me.

4. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have such a film clipper - I call it 'scissors'!
    Pausing only to apologise for my flippant response to a serious and well-intentioned question, I can honestly say that in 40 years of rolling my own (film!) a small pair of scissors works fine. I cut the cassette end of the film straight across (as square as I can in the dark) and secure it to the spool with tape, wrapping the tape right around to attach it to both sides of the film. If I forget to put the scissors somewhere where I can find them in the dark, I just tear the film, which works equally as well as the flanges of the spool serve to position the film squarely. As for tape, I've learned to be a bit picky as some adhesives can go gloopy and spoil the last frame that I eek out of a roll. Lately I've found that paper surgical tape works well as the adhesive is almost dry and doesn't leave a residue when peeled off.
    Steve

5. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have learned to put the scissors in my pocket. I use children's school scissors with round nose.

6. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a Canon EOS 10S/QD, it just needs one sprocket hole and can be cut straight.

7. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a bit of practice and you can get really good at cutting straight cuts in perfect darkness. I use scissors that have a rounded tip and are short.

For the leader, I have traced and snipped myself a template out of metal (from a commercial cassette) that I trim around to get really nice leaders.

9. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, everyone here is quite correct. It's not difficult to scissor snip and tape. But still I agree with the OP. A simple, inexpensive trimming device that would give correct and repeatable results would be nice.

Those who bulk load 35mm film also often fall into the home darkroom subgroup as well. If you do, look around your darkrooms. How many similar gadgets, from very simple to frighteningly compex (and often expensive) do you use? A leader trimmer would just be another small member of that group.

Ken

10. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One such gadget is the Ilford film tongue retriever (or whatever it's called), which has been a godsend on a few occasions!

I'd venture to suggest that the leader trimmer is akin to digital television, i.e. a solution looking for a problem, though given the choice I'd rather be forced to have a leader trimmer than be forced to have numerous digital channels of mindless nonsense displayed in poorer quality than the analogue signal that they have replaced!

Steve :smile:

11. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I would rather be stabbed in the heart with the blunt point scissors than forced to watch endless TV.

12. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Same with the Canon FN-100 bulk back for the F-1N! (I always found it supremely annoying on the older 250 exposure back that you had to cut a leader shape in the dark to attach the film to the empty spool when loading it up originally. At least with the other end and with normal bulk loaded carts you can cut the leader in the light...)

Duncan

13. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ever seen reels for those long bulk backs or do you cut them up?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My two most recent 35mm camera purchases are Canon EOS cameras - An Elan IIe and Rebel 2000. Both of them work fine with film cut straight across.

17. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the links. Must feel like forever loading those big reels.

18. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Naaklvoerder,

Thanks for your suggestion, To the best of my knowledge no one has ever made one.

I think people would rather cut an approximate tongue than use a 'device' so I do not
    see an opportunity on this occasion.

Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

19. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try and find an ABLON template in any condition. Even if you do find one, it will come at a dear price. They go for over $100 on flea bay if you can find them. I would love to have one, it would make trimming the pointed end easier before loading the brass cassettes. I have been using a blunt pair of child's paper scissors to trim the film leaders for my LTM Leicas.

20. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I THINK the original poster was wanting a device to sut the tounge to attach to the spool inside the cassette. These days we have to use DX coded reusable cassettes, to get our High tech film camera to know what film they are shooting. ALl the cassettes I have purchased recently come with a spool designed for the film loading machines used by the film factories. they expact the film to be tapered and have either 1 or two small holes to catch on a hook moulded into the cassette. They are the same as most makers (except Kodak) use for film.

As a work around I have been tossing the spools that come with them, and instead using spools salvaged from Kodak Film. This requires a bit of manipulation of masking tape in the dark.

IF there was a small device like a paper punch, that one could stick the end of the film in, and squeze, replicating the outline of the tail end of the factory film, one could just stuff the film into the spool, and be done. The result would then be identical to what comes from the factory.

The tongue outside the cassette is not as hard to do, and is dependent on the camera(s) in use. And it also can of course be cut in the light.

I would be willing to pay say 30 bucks US for such a device.

21. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was my understanding also.

And that was my conclusion as well.

Ken

22. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even the spools made to attach to the precut film have no problem attaching using tape. Really, it works exactly the same. After 5 years of bulk loading my film I've only had 1 roll come off the spool, and that was the second one I ever loaded and it was with a motordrive. I have considered such a device myself, but I have to agree that it's a solution looking for a problem. No reason you couldn't have it custom made for your own use though, just get in touch with someone with a laser cutter to make up what you want. Make up half a dozen and see who else wants one. There's no logical reason for Ilford to make a very niche product for what is already a relatively small part (people bulk loading) of an already niche market (analogue photographers).

23. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arri makes (made) film cutting scissors for cutting 35mm film for some cameras that required the film to be cut straight across 1/2 of a sprocket hole (perf). I couldn't afford them so i made my own which worked quite well.

24. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is exactly what i mean.

Jaap Jan

25. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

I wonder if we should try to ask the folks at AP Photoplastics - who appear to be the worlds largest producers of Film cassetttes.

http://www.apphoto.es/ap_products/docs/eng/bobinado_pelicula.htm

here is the email I just wrote to apphoto@apphoto.es :
    There was a recent thread on the APUG website concerning the desire to have a small inexpensive device to trim the end of a roll of blk film to allow it to be attached to the spool on a reloadable film cassette.

It appears that your film is one of the leading makers of the cassettes.

The tread is at
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/92062-ilford-film-clippers.html

26. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Was there any reply to this email???

Thank you,

Jaap Jan