Ilford FP4+ oddity?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mr. mohaupt, May 23, 2009.

1. mr. mohaupt

mr. mohaupt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I normally shoot Fomapan but in a pinch to test out a new camera I spent the premium and bought some FP4+ 125 locally ($6 and change :surprised: ). Anyways I processed it in Rodinal in my bathroom just like I have will all my film and noticed that the film backing looked a little different then any other film I have processed. First off there were weird symmetrical scratches the ran diagonally across the images. This seemed odd to me because while I squeegee I figured if there were any scratches from that they would run parallel with the negatives. The other thing I noticed was that the negatives them self almost look as if they have a "pitted" Matte finish. Is this normal? I wont be able to print or scan the negatives for some time (2 weeks or so trying to decide on a scanner but that is another topic for later).

Thoughts?
    ~m

2. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Probably it's an anti-curling gelatine layer what you're referring to...
    It's the same layer used by efke...

3. mr. mohaupt

mr. mohaupt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ahh! Ok I didnt know that.

Any thoughts on the scratches?

4. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen an odd pattern on the base side of Ilford films, 120 at least, unlike the shiny surface as on Kodak film. It's not always consistent, but doesn't seem to bother enlarging or scanning. Haven't done any contact printing.

5. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From your new camera perhaps?