Ilford FP4 Plus fine grain medium speed developing time

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by DJofTexas, Sep 22, 2007.

1. DJofTexas

DJofTexas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is my second roll of film to develop. I'm nervous as hell. I do not know if the chart at the college will have this film on it to tell me how long to develop it.

How long do I develop a roll of Ilford FP4 Plus Fine Grain Medium speed black and white film in D70 (I hope to hell I got the name of the chemical right. It's at the school lab. I know nothing. I'm a retarded mad scientist)

The water temp is always above 68 degrees (usually around 74 to 78 -- yay Texas Gulf Coast).

Hope this helps. Hope someone can help me.

much thanks
    Noobanonymous

2. gainer

gainer Subscriber

I'm sure you meant D-76. It is functionally the same as Ilford's ID-11. At 68 F I would say 8 minutes at full strength would get you a printable negative. You should probably dilute the developer with an equal part of water if you must use 75 degrees or so.

3. DJofTexas

DJofTexas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Shypii90

Shypii90 Guest

hey i'd like to start trying out and developing ilford too so this thread is proving very useful!

5. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do FP4 in D76 1:1 for 7.5 minutes @68 degrees. At 75 degrees, using Ilford's chart as a guide, I would go about 5.5 minutes. I do tend to like a negative that's a little thinner than is usually recommended, so take that into consideration.

Most films give a decent, printable negative when processed in D76 1:1 for 7 to 8 minutes @ 68 degrees, I have found.

6. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please do check the temperature before you start. That way you have a basis for future developing too.