Ilford HP5 and Ilfospeed from the 1980s

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mls64, Nov 27, 2011.

1. mls64

mls64 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just yesterday I found in my closet a sealed bulk 30m roll of Ilford HP5. Expiration date looks to be 1987.
    I was going to offer it up for sale, but after seeing pictures in the thread about the old Plus-X, I mght try it out. I still have a bulk loader, but no reliable film canisters.

Also found a box of Ilfospeed Multigrade II 8x10 paper, seal is broken but otherwise untouched. I have no darkroom though. Is it likely that the paper didn't hold up like the film might have?

(and I found an undeveloped roll of Kodacolor VR 400, I think I shot at a Who concert, pushed but I can't read the marking as to whether it was 800 or 1600...wonder if that roll would turn out at all).

The closet turned out to be a treasure trove.

Mike
    Texas

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My experience is that the fog level of faster films like HP5 and Tri-X rises rapidly in fairly outdated films. 24 years is almost certain to have had an effect particulary if not chilled/frozen storage.

I've Ilfospeed of that age that's OK, a bit slower and less contrast but no fogging. Try it.

Ian

3. mls64

mls64 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unfortunately I have no darkroom, nor access to one, so really no chance to use the paper. I'll gladly donate it to someone if they cover shipping costs.

I was hoping that the film would be OK. Would it be better to expose at lower ISO than 400?

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a bunch of HP5 from the 1980s. Last time I tested it (9/4/2007) it was four DIN numbers slower than fresh T-max 400. I don't recall the base fog, but it was probably somewhere around 0.6 to 0.7

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many of us shoot HP5 nearer to 200 EI anyway so yes. It's so depenant on storage that you'll need to test it. I processed some Tri-X that must have been bought in the mid to late 90's and the base fog was high

Ian

6. mls64

mls64 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great info, thanks. What EI number should I give the processor for developing?