Ilford ID 11 developer.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Mike Kennedy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone had experience using this type of developer for Tri-X and FP4?
    My usual brand is T-Max or Rodinal.
    Thanks

2. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This dev is the same as Kodak's D-76. ID-11/D-76 are generally considered to be the standards by which all other dev are judged. They will develop nearly all films to a low-mid contrast range, give good tonality, grain and sharpness.

IMO, this dev is not great at anything, but good at everything. Rodinal will give you a sharper image, but at the expense of grain. Microdol-X or a PPD dev will give you finer grain, but at the expense of sharpness.

3. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before trying Rodinal and having access to DD-X I used ID-11 exclusively for D-400, D-100 and FP4+. It gave really fine grain and seemed particularly nice with the Deltas.

Kent

4. richard littlewood

richard littlewood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Personally I reckon ID-11 is a really good developer that if you want to experiment with it a bit will do incredible things. Beyond a 1+2 dilution it starts to drop it's fine grain qualities and turns out a sharper image. I know someone at the moment trying a semi-stand technique, and he reckons the results are brilliant. Dont be put off by those folks going on about the sulphite effect, at a 1+3 dilution it means very little. It suits TRI-X and FP-4 to a T.

5. mvjim

mvjim Member

The running rumour that ID-11 is the same formula as D-76 is actually not true. Not that it makes a difference in this case. ID-11 is an excellent developer. Try testing at 1:3 @ 75 degrees at 14 - 16 mins. Great results with FP and HP 4

6. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

7. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's the same and then there's the same. :wink: I don't believe many people claim that the current commercial Ilford ID-11 and Kodak D-76 products are absolutely 100% identical, but by all accounts they're both derived from the original 1926 Kodak D-76. The common (but unsubstantiated) claim I've seen is that Kodak has added things to and otherwise tweaked the formula of its commercial D-76 compared to the original version, whereas Ilford has made few or no changes to its version. In practice, they're supposed to work almost identically once mixed, although I can't say I've done any tests.

8. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford ID11 and the similar Kodak D-76 will work fine with either film, the Ilford developer is buffered with Borax only and is supplied as a two part powder and D-76 is buffered with Borax and Boric anhydride and is supplied as a one-part powder compound. Both developers provide a good allround yield.
    The grain will be a little bit finer than your regular developers while maintaining good sharpness, you may however prefer the convenience of a ready prepared liquid concentrate rather than having to disolve powder(s) to make a stock solution.

9. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I can tell, ID-11 and D-76 are functionally equivalent. If there are differences in the contents of the two packaged developers, they have little or no discernable effect on the finished product.