Ilford Ilfospeed RC Digital Paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Fragomeni, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone had success using Ilford Ilfospeed RC Digital paper as an in-camera paper negative? The paper is panchromatic and would therefore provide a sensitivity to the full color spectrum rather then insensitivity to red, low sensitivity to green, and high sensitivity to blue light as typical enlarging papers do. Im wondering if this paper functions similarly to regular B&W paper i.e. can it be developed in regular paper developer? It seems that the only difference would be that you cant use it under a safe light. Any experience with this stuff here? Thank you.

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Never tried it for making In Camera Paper negs.

I have used it for its intended purpose, as well as the fibre variation.
    I have tons of the RC I would sell to anyone, been sitting around for about 4years so I cannot speak for its condition, I would have to run some to make sure its still good. I have three not opened 30inch x 100ft rolls and 3/4 of the same.
    I would only sell as full rolls.
    ISO is around 10-25 Harmon could give you better numbers.

You are right , any developer is ok with this paper , I use Dektol and Ilford multigrade developer, stop , fix hypo clear toning the same.
    You do have to process without safe light , it has been no problem for use.
    We first used Agfa Classic then the Harmon and we will try Adox.
    Being able to work in safelight would be helpful but not necessary.

BTW I have never used it for analogue colour negatives , but its not a stretch to imagine it would work , as RGB laser exposure works fine.

3. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you know if this paper can be exposed in the same way that normal enlarging paper can be (except without safelight obviously)? I'm wondering what it's exposure sensitivity would be in a regular enlarger rather then a digital laser enlarger. I would assume that a digital laser enlarger outputs significantly more light at a higher intensity. Is this true or do they output the same kind of light as a regular enlarger?

Also, what would you be asking for a roll of your old stuff assuming it works?

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bob

could it be developed by inspection with a green safelight ?

thanks !
    john

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Kodak, Fuji and Ilford all had to speed / changer the sensitivity of the emulsions to work on Laser or Led exposing units, like the Lambda, Lightjet or Chromira.
    so my guess is enlarger exposure is stronger or about the same.
    When I was doing all analoque printing I found the colour papers much slower, Putting in colour paper using an enlarger is much faster today.
    As I said I never exposed the paper in a regular enlarger but Yes it will work, its a light sensitive emulsion.
    Probably about 200 per roll but shipping may be a problem or an added cost.
    Seriously if I sell it would be as is other than I would check the opened roll to see how it is and if it is good I would assume the rest is ok.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I don't think so John , but really not sure. sorry.

7. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used rolls of both the ilfospeed digital RC and fiberbased under an enlarger with excellent results. The speed is about the same as MG IV. You need to work in pitch darkness - no safelight. Contrast is approx. grade 3-1/2 to 4. 52"x 98' rolls of this stuff seem to be the best kept secret on Ebay with prices as low as $50! I bought three rolls at that price. The seller had another 82 rolls. At the time I purchased, the seller's stock had been up on the auction site for several weeks. I was the first person to buy. Kind of nuts considering the retail price of $800. If anyone wants some cut down to smaller sheets to experiment with, PM me.

8. Fragomeni

Fragomeni Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    frotog, I'm pm you so I can run some tests on this stuff.

9. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob & frotog: Is the backside of this paper free from logo or suchlike?

10. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi, David,

No logos on backside.

11. willrea

willrea Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would be cool to try in my 4x5

12. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Its been a few years as we decided to only print the fiber material,so I am not sure.
    This paper was to compliment our fibre version as a testing material., We got rid of the Ciba machine that could process bw as well and decided to shelf the paper and use it for a specific project ,, this project has not materialized as yet.

13. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's a question; could this be utilized as a replacement for Panalure? (accepting that no, it obviously will not behave the same, but an idea..)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was thinking the same thing.

16. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All these reports make this material sound ideal for making black and white prints from color negatives. It sounds a bit slow, but usable and useful, for camera use.

17. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

It is a good product for sure, but designed very specifically for intense laser exposure, we have looked at its properties for other applications ( eg regular exposure or Panalure type performance ) and we would not suggest that it is technically suitable for these applications.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Right from the horses mouth, I have never tried it as an enlarger paper , as our needs are different from some.

19. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Funny...I'm on my third roll of ilfospeed digital RC. No problems under my enlarger. I actually prefer it to MGIV for my needs (i.e. making a good print).

20. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    While it may be panchromatically sensitive does this make it different from RA4 paper in safelight terms?

Is there any reason why a sodium safelight such as a DUKA wouldn't be OK as it is for RA4? Makes life much easier if the DUKA would be safe for it.

Can I take it that in effect it is a one grade paper at about 3.5/4 grade so quite restricted compared to normal RCVC?

Thanks

pentaxuser

21. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It does act like a graded paper. I used it for making murals from 35mm negs that printed on mgiv rc at a filtration of 3 to 3-1/2 in 8x10 underneath a durst condenser. The murals were made under a cls 1000 color head. The dmax on the pearl surface digital gallerie rc is noticeably greater than that of the mgiv rc - in fact it blows it out of the water. The emulsion responds very well to ansco 120, effectively giving some contrast control. I print color all the time and so am used to working in total darkness... have no idea about color safelights.

22. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There it is, frotog proves that it can be used as a Panalure type paper, no?

I'm sure Simon is somewhat obligated to give recommendations that match the company line, as well as suggestions that will ensure success. I'm not surprised that he says to not use it under the enlarger... McDonald's doesn't tell you that their trays make excellent snow sleds.

About how much control would you say is possible with Ansco 120?

23. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Holmburgers,

You are absolutely correct in that I am obliged to tell our end users what we know about the design, application, and the use of the product, this is so our products meet or exceed the customers expectation in the application for which they are designed and not fall short of it when being used in another application.

I very rarely do so as experimentation is surely one of the great advantages of analog photography in that creativity often comes from using product A for effect B for which A was not designed and effect B was ( on occasion ) never envisaged, also within the APUG community we have some real experts who's skill, knowledge and creativity are readily shared to help others, its one of the key reasons we ( amongst others ) in a modest way help support APUG. To me it all helps to enhance and continue to take analog photography forward.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

24. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Simon,

And hopefully, APUG's greatest contribution can be to give working knowledge on how to successfully utilize materials for un-intended purposes, with pleasing & useful results.

25. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I can say that this paper version fiber , meets and exceeds this customers expectation in the application for which it was designed.

26. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hear, hear, Bob! But what's news is that both versions of this paper (same emulsion as far as I can tell) work for an application for which it was not designed, exceedingly well I might add. Not at all surprising either as the discrepancy between the nature of the beast and what comes out of the horse's mouth often comes down to marketing.