Ilford Imaging bought by investment company

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by AgX, Apr 8, 2010.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is not Ilford Photo though.

Steve.

3. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yep, more corporate crap. The citizens of the entire world need to force corporations to profit from making things and not financial moves...Evan Clarke

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is not Ilford Photo, but it is the company responsible for Ilfochrome.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This invesrment company thing is tricky. Some other materials praised here at Apug are made by manufacturers backed by investment companies. Maybe we would lack those materials if the manufacturers would have to rely on bank money.

6. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I agree, but it's a crappy way for people to live. Investment companies are only interested in shuffling papers around, what happens if the investment company wakes up and finds that Ilford Imaging can make them a quick little profit if they sell the scrap metal and the real estate? People made better wealth in the past by employing people and making products than the robber barons of this century are making corporate raids. The people of the industrialized world deserve the financial instability we have now because we have let the giant corporate culture evolve. The people in developing counties deserve what they WILL get when the same corporations forsake them. Hopefully we will have a giant solar storm and everybody will be directly responsible for their own needs and welfare. Corporate savvy and paper shuffling will have no value then....EC

7. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Won't the gamma rays be hard on my unexposed film?

8. Ray Rogers

Ray Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AgX, I can't seem to get the top link to open (I get a redirect to nowhere land) and the 2nd link just takes me to Boresville.

:sad:

This is sad news anyhow.... eclarke, I hear you.

Ray

9. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Been there, done that. The company I work for was a management buy out and went through two sets of venture capitalists in fairly quick succession. It works, but its not a good long term strategy. They want "Paper Value", and this is often at the cost of long term prospects. We were relieved when a big, "evil multinational" bought us. They understood what we were about, and they are looking Looooong term. Now its time to rebuild the damage the financial vultures wrought.

Actually the financial wizzkids will be looking longterm ATM, as the rate of return on buying a company, and building it up will be a hell of a lot better than gambling on the markets. We may be seeing a bit more proper investment now. One hopes so anyway

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, I know that winter has returned around here and that Milwaukee got some snow, but this is the worst case of cabin fever I have heard of. :wink:

11. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure the Ilfochrome line is not very profitable...

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No a much worse case was when Wolf Larsen thought Charlie had become a chicken in "The Gold Rush" and chased him round the cabin with an axe.:D

pentaxuser

13. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have days like that but without hallucinating chickens

14. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You then just chase after Charlie with an axe?

15. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Seems so, it's a niche market. I read about the French Army using it and that's why Ilford (Oji) said it would be manufactured until 2020 at least. Because their contract ends there.

It would be sad to have it discontinued. I want to try it once I have a few nice slides.

16. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The factory in Switzerland also makes some nice inkjet papers, which are quite easy to get hold of (in Europe, at least). They are branded as Ilford, as they have the right to do that for what are regarded as colour materials. That apparently is why Harman's line of inkjet papers, made in the UK, is branded Harman.

17. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I fear this may mean "goodbye to Ilfochrome". I would like to be wrong about this.

18. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Considering this happened a year ago, I wouldn't be extremely worried about it being killed off any faster now that a private firm owns it.

19. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The end

I'm with you EC, it might be interesting to watch an investment banker trying to buy food or water with worthless money.

20. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Prepare to see Ilfochrome raw materials skyrocket. Ultimately, out of reach to everybody...
    Shareholders behind the firm(s) will be rubbing their hands with glee at the expected profit returns, until at least the world looses interest in Ilfochrome and suddenly pfff— ... no more returns. Isn't it curious than investment company here in Australia owned by two general practitioners was one of the less-palatable reasons why Australia's best Ilfochrome lab — ChromaColour — went bust?