Ilford IR film and filter combo?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by cosmonaut, Dec 3, 2007.

1. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have been looking at trying some IR film. Ilford recommends a 092 filter but I have been looking at the 093 as well. Does anyone have any good advice on a film, filter combo for Ilford IR 200? Also is there a rule of thumb, like "sunny 16" that will help me decide how to expose the film?

2. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 093 begins transmission deep-ish into the IR (at approximately 800nm). The 092 begins at the end of the visible spectrum (at 700-ish). Looking at the datasheet, the senstivity of SFX 200 doesn't go much beyond 750nm, so the 093 isn't likely to work well, if at all; the 092 will be fine. IR films also give a nice effect with a Red (#25) filter.

As far as a rule of thumb for exposure, there isn't really much that you can say for certain. The amount of visible light in an environment isn't [necessarily] representative of the amount of IR in said environment. It's really all based on experience gained through trial and error. Estimate your exposure and bracket a stop or 2 on either side.

I've used the Konica and Kodak IR films, though not SFX; so I can't give any starting points for exposure. I'm sure that someone here can.

3. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, as stated in the SFX 200 Data Sheet, 4 stops down from ISO 200 (ISO 25) is a good starting point for 092 and similar filters.

I have used SFX with a 715 nm filter (similar to 092); metering at 25 ISO is a nice starting point, but as htmlguru4242 says, if you want to be sure, bracket +/- 1 or 2 stops. And make notes. You can learn from those. Time of day, subject, it all has influence for IR. I'm still learning myself... :wink:

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Hoya rm72 should work fine, and a tiffen #87 might also work, if you don't mind long exposures. A 93 will be much too deep, HIE is the only film I am aware of that makes good use of that. If somebody wants to buy my 40.5mm B+W 93 filter, I'll give a good price!

I think the Ilford SFX filter is basically just deep red.

Any way you slice it, you'll need to blow a few rolls to get the hang of it. Note also that there are extreme seasonal variations in the amount of near IR light reflected from foliage :wink: if you want lots of Wood effect then wait 'til spring.

5. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hm, after posting this and shutting down my PC, I thought... iso 200 minus 4 stops is not iso 25, but iso 12. I guess I measure at iso 12, then. But I'll check my notes when I have a chance.

Anyway, I like SFX-200 better than Rollei IR-400; ISO 200 (no filter) -> ISO 12 (with filter) for SFX is better than ISO 400 (no filter) -> ISO 3 or 6 (with filter) for Rollei IR-400. It's the difference between *maybe* shooting *without* tripod and *certainly* *requiring* a tripod.

6. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Resurrecting an old question - iso rating Ilford SFX

Howdy,
    I´m trying to figure out how to rate my SFX film when used with a B+W 091 (dark red) filter. It reduces light by three stops if I remember correctly. WIll I be fine by handling it as a 25 ISO film when used with this filter or am I way off here? I'm really excited about really shooting film seiously again, but want to make sure I'm not totally off on the basics.

Any thoughts and comments welcome, cheers! :smile:

7. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    An ISO of 25 sounds right to me for your filter but you will get little or no IR effect. You need to get the 092, 89B, R72 or Ilford's own SFX filter, all are 695nm.

Peter

8. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With an 89B, 12 ISO works for me with SFX and 25 ISO with Rollei 400. Efke 820 is more like 3 and so curly that it is a pain.