Ilford MG 500 or Aristo VCL4500?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Rafal Lukawiecki, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Diffuse Light Printers,

If you were to make a choice between an Ilford MG 500 or an Aristo VCL4500 heads, which one would you prefer? I'm interested in any major advantages/disadvatanges of either. Emotional preferences?

I do 4x5, mostly landscape. Due to circumstances, I will resume printing on VC papers (so far I used to use graded and an old cathomag head, now broken).

Enlarger is DeVere 504. I have a Zone VI timer with the light-probe gizmo.

Many thanks for your kind wisdom,
    R.

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have an Aristo VCL 4500 head for my Omega D2v I use a metrolux II for a timer. The VCL 4500 is a nice head. you get a controller box that allows you to use the blue or green lites independently or you can mix them together. I would recommend taking the cover off the head before drilling the hole for the probe. The instructions are ok not great. I think it is a better head than the zone VI by a country mile.

lee\c

3. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I had the 810 version of the VCL4500. Seemed like a good idea, but it's just not bright enough for me. I like exposures with the lens stopped down a few stops and 10 to 15 seconds. The VCL couldn't do it, even on 8x10s or 11x14s from a 5x7. Also, they are expensive. I use an Aristo V54 coldlight tube with filters, both Ilford MG type and lighting gels. This is easy, fast, and bright. For a timer, I'm using the Metrolux II -- a must with coldlight.

Sorry I don't know the Ilford MG 500.

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have never used the Aristo but I can say I like the Multigrade 500 system alot. It is even better with the RH Designs Analyser 500 I got for it. Together it's an almost perfect system for VC paper.