Ilford North America closing ?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by david b, May 31, 2006.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hoping this is just a rumor but I am also hoping Simon can answer this asap.

On photo.net someone is reporting the Ilford North America, a distributor is closing.

Can someone fill us in and tell us if this is true and if so, what does this mean?

2. dphill

dphill Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is one way to start a thread!
    Could you give us a link to the post?

Dan

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've never found the rumors on photo.net to be all that reliable. It seems to me that they attract a large number of doomsayers, especialy when it comes to film related rumors. Without some substantial source, I'd discount it outright.

- Randy

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here is the link. I've also sent a PM to Simon about this.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've moved this to "Product Availability." If it turns out to be unsubstantiated nonsense, we'll move it to "Product Availability Gloom and Doom."

6. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My mistake David. My Greek mythology is a bit rusty these days (so is my spelling apparently - should be two s's). I edited it immediately after posting - your fast!

- Randy

7. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since we have Ilfords "ear", I thought I should ask.

Place this thread wherever it should be.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In that case, I've edited my reply.

9. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I guess they're gone for good, now. They're no longer on Ilford's Distributor list (as if they ever were). Infact they are "so gone", they can't be found through Google. Darn, another ambiguous entity bites the bullet.

bo·lo·ney

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before I would declare death, I would wait to see what Simon has to say, he seems to be real responsive to the threads about Illford that get posted around here, and even if the US distributor goes away, I am sure they will continue to supply product, in addition, JandC carries Illford products, perhaps they will be able to do some things...

Come on guys, why worry about it until you hear about it from the horses mouth? I am sure Simion will chime in here.

R.

11. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  12. jandc

jandc Member

In speaking to Simon at the APUG Conference he mentioned something about restructuring the US operation as part of their long term plan. However, he made a point of saying that it would be transparent to the end users and the vendors. I wouldn't worry about it.

13. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for chiming in John.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You could be right that there was such a designation, but I thought that there were two entries for NA, that one and this one for Canada.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/contact.asp?c=Canada

Also, I didn't mean to sound so terse in my previous message, I just get touchy about rumors.

- Randy

17. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, for me, I'm just having fun. I don't take anything personal. The chances of "me" being correct on any one subject . . . is easily a million to one. The chances of me correctly guessing whether a rumor is true or false . . . a billion to one. ;-)

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I called Ilford today (Wednesday) and talked to Steve Brierley about this because I received an alarmist e-mail on the subject.

Yes, Ilford North America is closing because it was not cost effective for Harman to buy the US distribution company. This was not exactly a surprise to anyone who has been following the matter closely.

They have moved to a distributor instead. They still employ tech support people and salesmen to sell Ilford products to resellers. The net impact on Ilford buyers (not the staff of Ilford USA, it's true) will be roughly zero. The sky is NOT falling.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  19. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please note that you said Ilford NA, then Ilford USA.

If it is Ilford NA, then Canada is also affected. If it is Ilford USA, then only USA is affected.

Actually, I heard that it is Ilford NA and both US and Canadian employees are going. There will be about 3 - 6 remaining to oversee the transition which will start in July. It should be transparent to all customers.

PE

20. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please re-read my original posting. I never said Ilford was closing. I said their distributor was closing. I never said the sky was falling. And since I am not one of those people who follow these matters closely, I just wanted some clarification.

Read my signature line. Have a great day.

21. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Photo Engineer,

Yes, if I understood Steve correctly, Ilford in Canada is also affected. I have to confess that I specifically asked only about Ilford NA and that he volunteered the information about Canada.

Dear David,

Sorry, I did not mean for one moment to imply that you said the sky was falling. That was more of a reaction to the alarmist e-mail I had received earlier in the day -- from the same source who started to spread a rumour that Mamiya was dead, then two days later said 'it seems as if these rumors are exaggerated'. Well, yes, the only place I heard them was from him...

The confusion lay in 'distributor'. Ilford NA was a sales company, and they now have a distributor. Sorry again: hardening of the categories on my part.

Cheers,

Roger

22. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For what it is worth I'll add that I just returned from my local supplier where the shelves were stocked full of a brand new supply of what appeared to be the full range of paper and chemicals from Ilford. Made me feel so good I bought 4 fresh boxes of 11x14. They told me they were already getting the shipments from a new distributor and there should be no drought during a changeover.

Bill

23. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Roger. Now I can go out for my afternoon Latte.

24. boyooso

boyooso Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My contact at Ilford informed me that there was a deal with WYNIT in place to distribute the B&W material.

However, the Swiss branch, color material manufacturer, had not deal in place as of yet. Hopefully soon.

Corey

25. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last local supplier that sells Ilford products here told me the recent support and service he has gotten from Ilford has been the best he has ever received from any mfg. He has been told that with any reorganization of distribution that takes place the re-seller and customer should see no effect on product availability or customer support.

26. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Reply From Simon Galley ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Dear All,

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology is indeed moving its USA and Canadian distribution. This is part of our strategy ( see Roger Hicks contribution to this thread ) and you will see no disruption of supply whatsoever. We will retain
    HARMAN technology staff in the USA and CANADA to ensure first class customer and product support.

I can assure you there is no need to be concerned in the least, our business is very robust and growing :

Simon Galley, ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited