Ilford Ortho Plus

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by michael_r, Jul 5, 2012.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone have any experience with this film? I'm particularly interested in its graininess. Ilford describes it as "fine grain" but I'm wondering how it compares to say FP4 in graininess, assuming it is developed to pictorial-type contrast in a standard developer such as ID-11.

Thanks
    Michael

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have made negatives from the ISO 24 ortho Rollie for contact negs on silver with good results , I believe the Ilford product would be as tight.
    We used HC110 for these negatives, At 20 x24 our digital contact print on Ilford Warmtone matches the enlarger print on the same paper from the same neg.

I cannot speak to ID - 11

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have never noticed a grain problem with this film and would think it quite comparable with FP4. Of course it depends on how you use it.

4. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to order some and try it out for some masking stuff. I've mostly used slower ortho films for that, but wanted to give this Ilford film a try.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used a lot of the Ilford Ortho film and in terms of sharpness & grain it's on a par with FP4, it's an excellent film. We used it commercialy for copy negs and in terms of processing it behaved in a similar manner to FP4 as well, the only real difference was the film speed and spectral sensitivity.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  6. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for this, Ian.