ilford Pan F or other

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by celestine47, Dec 9, 2006.

1. celestine47

celestine47 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :D

hello,

I am hoping to use Ilford Pan F with a medium format camera, can anyone tell me about this film?, is it difficult to yse, if so can you give me any tips?.

thanks

2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try to be right-on on the exposure.

3. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

It's currently my favourite slow film for MF. It's no more difficult to work with than any other film. It gives lovely 'creamy' tones and is capable of really sharp, low grain images. At ISO50 it's quite contrasty. I find rating it at 25 and reducing development by about 20% works well. It's really nice in ID11 and I've also used Stoeckler's 2-bath which also reduces contrast.

Enjoy!

Rob

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Rob's assesment of this film - unless the light is flat it helps to do what he suggested with exposure and development to get the contrast to a workable level. I love this film, and I only shoot 120 or larger these days, but my developer of choice is Rodinal 1:100 (or 1:200 using stand development).

- Randy

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a wonderful film if you have enough light for it- I've developed it in Ilfosol-S and Neofin Blau; both o which give full ISO 50 or a little bit more. Don't overdevelop more than 10%, or the contrast will run away on you.

Having said this, I routinely "overdevelop" it by 25%. But I don't recommend it unless you kow what you're doing, what you want, and how to get from where you are to where you want to be.

6. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second the recommendations about overdeveloping.......the last Pan F negs I shot were, er, chunky. This time around I'll be doubling the dilution with PCAT- 6 mins rated at 40/50 and 1+200 should do it .

8. reub2000

reub2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bring along a tripod. And don't forget the manual, so you can figure out the reciprocity failure.

9. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. rusty71

rusty71 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try Rodinal 1:100 for 20 minutes at ISO 50. This dilute developer really softens the contrast. It's more predictable then the Efke 25 and 50, which lately have been all over the place in speed and contrast. Ilford must have one of the finest coating facilities in the world. Their emulsions are extremely consistent.

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EI 40 Rodinal 1:50 Semi Stand dev. 15 min. with presoak, no stop only water, fix, hypo clear, wash.

Now that you have read what some of us use it's time for you to find your own EI and development time. It will probably be close to our but your conditions and practices will be, well yours.

Best of Luck,

Curt

12. Matthew Gorringe

Matthew Gorringe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I now rate it at EI32 and use Xtol 1:2 to develop it. I've also used D76 1:3 rating it at EI25.

It really doesn't stand underexposure at all but you can afford to give it a bit extra exposure and still have workable negatives. I use a diffuser enlarger so you might want to reduce development times a bit with a condensor.

13. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By their nature slow films tend to be contrasty. Pan-F Plus builds contrast very rapidly so be careful not to over develop.