Ilford Pan F / Yashica T5 (T4 Super)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bvy, Jun 9, 2013.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just shot a roll of Ilford Pan F Plus 50 with my Yashica T5 (same as the T4 Super). While I have a mix of shots, the lion's share -- and the ones I'm most concerned about -- is of indoor portraits taken using the on-camera flash. Maybe not the best choice of film for that -- but it's what I had with me.

Anyway, this is my first experience with this film; I typically shoot Tri-X or Neopan and develop in D76 1:1. I've read that many people shoot Pan F at 25; I've also read that the T5 flash tends to (sometimes) overexpose -- though I've only seen that statement made anecdotally. So I'm not sure what to expect. Research indicates that D76 is a bit further down the list of preferred developers for Pan F. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the fine grain goodness for well-exposed shots if it comes to that. Thoughts?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who sez D-76 is way down the list????? I love Pan F+ in D-76 1+1. True, it tends to be contrasty, but box speed works for me in my Olys and Mamiya TLRs.

3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    D-76 should be fine but for 35mm in this case (T4 with flash) I'd do it stock not 1-1.

4. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in love with this camera. Still trying to slowly find my favorite developer/film combo for it. Not there yet. Pan F+ and FP4+ seem to show the aesthetics that I care for better than the Tri-X that I've been using to date. I hope you update this thread with your findings!

5. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ilford Perceptol is a fine-grain developer that should work well with Pan F Plus; otherwise D-76 / ID-11 will do an excellent job. Whose research are we taking about here? ID-11 may be far down your list, but it's pretty darn close to the top of mine!

Cheers,
    kevs

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    D76 works very well with Pan-F at 1+3; at that dilution it has basically no solvent effect so you don't lose the Pan-F sharpness.

7. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I had no problems with Pan F+ & D-76. Can you get your hands on Rodinal? Pan F+ & R09 spoiled me for anything else for a while

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    PanF+ in Rodinal is also my choice, try that (Adox Adonal or R09)

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Interesting response -- I'm very curious why you recommend stock. Can you elaborate?

10. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have also used D-76 1+1 with Pan F plus and in my personal experience the combination is really beautiful. I particularly like the scale of tones when the film is exposed on a sunny day. I have read somewhere that D76 or other solvent developers should not be used stock with slow emulsions, as the sharpness will suffer, but I have never tried myself.

11. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personably when I use Pan F for 35mm I want fine grain and the gorgeous smoothness that brings with this film particularly for skin and skies. If I wanted perceived sharpness from accutance with grain and edge affects (which is what you get 1-1) I'll just shoot something like FP-4.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh and the "T4 with flash" reference was because I agree that the T4 flash seems to overexpose some. More exposure typically leads to more grain if not compensated for at development time or development technique.

13. Aron

Aron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've yet to see any edge effects with D76 1+1. It might be a little sharper than stock, but no edge effects, even with reduced agitation at 1+3 with the films I use, just the beginning of what seems to be a little more sharpness.

14. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To each his own of course. I was not overly happy sometimes with the skies or skin tones when I did 1-1 as with stock.

15. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Try Pan F with one of the staining pyro developers if you want that "wire sharpness" kind of edge acutance.

16. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pan F seems to build contrast rather quickly. So it is important not to over develop it. I rate it at EI 32 and develop it in D-23 1+1.

17. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. Lots to consider, but I'm thinking D76 stock or Perceptol stock. For the latter, Ilford gives times of 14 minutes, and 9 minutes for EI 25, so I'm deciding if I should pull it a bit early to compensate for the bright flash. Sounds like I should err on the side of underdeveloping, in any case.

I'm also ordering more of this film...

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well before you order, make sure you like the results :smile:

However as a big fan of PanF+ I fully support buying more :smile:

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

19. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Yashica has no way of manually setting the ISO, so unless I'm missing something, you're pretty much stuck with auto exposures at box speeds (whatever is on the DX code).

20. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right. Short of "hacking" the cassette (scratching and taping) that's true. Anyway, I'm going back to the point that the flash on this camera is on the strong side -- and that this film especially is easy to overexpose.