ILFORD Photo 2008 ULF Run

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Simon R Galley, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Just to let you know I will be posting full details on the ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology ULF run on this forum by the end of this week:

I will be posting details of our ULF reseller partners, PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ORDERS ON THEM BEFORE THE FULL DETAILS ARE PUBLISHED. As per the last two years we will make in HP5+ and FP4+ ( please note : we are aware many people have requested we add a DELTA emulsion, this would obviously dilute sales and I have previously explained we need to cover the higher finishing and waste costs ).

Another reason we did not include DELTA, is that, like last year, we will make any volume to avoid people having to place large ( and potentially expensive )individual orders to get the size made that they need, all sizes that are ordered from our ULF Partners WILL BE MANUFACTURED BY ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited, even if it is only a couple of packs.

All pack sizes are 25 sheets in FP4+ and HP5+

4" x 10" : 5" x 12" : 6.5" x 8.5" : 7" x 11" : 7" x 17" : 8" x 20" :
    10" x 12" : 11" x 14" : 12" x 20" : 14" x 17" : 16" x 20" : 20" x 24" :

Timelines and item numbers will be posted this week : A press release will also be issued to ensure wider coverage of this make:

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Any possibility of adding 2.25x3.25" to that list? I know it's a stock size for HP-5+, but I'd be interested in FP-4+.

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon!

David, how about cutting down 5x7, which is available. I realize that you lose a bit...

Anyway I'd also be interested in seeing things like xp2, sfx,and delta in 2.25x3.25".

4. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I could cut down 5x7" or some other format, but one could say that of any of the special formats offered here. The competing product in 2.25x3.25" would be Efke PL100, so I would probably just continue using it rather than cutting down a different film in a larger size.

I'd probably order at least 20 boxes myself, and I suspect that some of the other 2x3" shooters would order more. I don't know how many square meters of film they'll add up to, but there are certainly more people shooting 2x3" than 7x11" or 10x12".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would join you on that order. I do have some PL50M to try though.

xp2 minisheets too please!

(Meanwhile all the ULFers want 2.25x3.25'....)

6. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm waiting for details to get my 8x20 order.....

Stefano

7. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont think the XP2 emulsion has been available in sheets for quite a while (has it ever been?), so I don't like your chances on that one
    Simon, you might wanna reaffirm which emulsions just can't be made in sheets, or are entirely uneconomical to pursue for Ilford. Please, before someone asks for Pan F+ again...

ULF seems to be a growing field for photography, so I'm glad to see this ongoing commitment even if I'm not an ULF user myself. Have fun guys.

8. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hehe, just what I need... Order some more HP5+ in 7x17 when I don't even have my camera yet. By the way I'm taking credit for starting this ULF order as I took the last 3 boxes of HP5+ Ilford had in stock.

9. haziz

haziz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is FP4+ still available in 13x18 ?

I am based in the US. I have both 5x7 and 13x18 holders and would like to be able to utilize both. Is there any plan to have some FP4+ 13x18 (cm) available to US based retailers? I believe that FP4+ and HP5+ used to be regularly cut in 13x18. Is it possible for a US based retailer to obtain this film or would I have to have it shipped from Europe. J&C used to stock some film and paper in metric sizes (obviously not Ilford film) but I am now unable to find any metric sized film this side of the Atlantic.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

10. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I honestly don't understand how people can ask for XP2, Delta, SFX in this thread. I believe Simon is absolutely clear on the how and why. I think this ULF offering may even cost money for Ilford/HARMAN, and by offering only FP4+ and HP5+, the loss is at least minimised. Or maybe there's even some profit, who knows. Either way, there's a lot of work involved. I think the original post from Simon is 100% clear.

11. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well David started it! :rolleyes:

Alright, the ULFers are a fearsome lot, so I will refrain from asking for undeliverable things in the wrong thread.

12. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Asking for another size is a less complicated request by many orders of magnitude than asking for another emulsion, particularly one they don't currently make in sheet sizes.

13. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I guess its worth going around it again so people are aware of the issues....ILFORD Photo coat sheet film on a different base to 120 and 35mm and the coated formulation is different, many people think we just coat one film product so why can't finish it into sheet sizes. The reason we do this is to produce the highest quality sheet film professional product that we can. When you get to films you coat specific 'campaigns' that relate to emulsion batch sizes, if you coat smaller volumes waste is increased to unacceptable levels, at the normal coating volumes we must ensure that the product is finished and sold at an acceptable rate as film must have significant date left on it when it leaves this factory or it has to be destroyed and sent for silver recovery. I actually costed PANF F + sheet film and the price we would have to charge makes it totally unviable, again people presume the volumes sold of these products are much higher than they actually are. Regardless, it is interesting to get all your feedback re products you would like to see...I do read them all and report it to marketing etc.

I hope that shines a little light on the subject :

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kraker,
    I'm with you. SImon has clearly stated reasons for limited emulsions and sizes. It is not unlikely that the wide variety of emulsions which used to be offered were significant in the failure of the previous Ilford film branch, as well as Agfa and others.
    It is time we learned to work with what is available and be thankful it is still withus.

16. ZachInIsrael

ZachInIsrael Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Simon Thanks for all of the information and feedback

17. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Simon. I've been crossing my fingers in the hope that you'd make another batch of 11x14 HP5+ before I run out again. Last time I ran out I had to re-import some from North America which was madness. I'll order some 10x12 too if I can afford it :smile:.

18. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Forgive my ignorance; I understand that PanF 50 isn't even made in 4x5, and you'd have to reformulate it from scratch to coat on LF film base, but aren't Deltas 100 & 400 already made in sheet film sizes?

Obviously, coating on thick 7 mil (thou) support is going to be much different than coating on 3 or 5 mil (thou) support.

19. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think Simon made it perfectly clear which sizes would be available and the reasons behind the decisions. Give the guy a break...

20. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Simon

Any chance of some 20x24" Kodachrome, if you can get permission from Kodak?

Matt

(Just joking)

21. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon,

Any chance of half-plate orders?

Clay

22. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alright alright, I already "refrained" in post #11, could everyone else please also kindly refrain :wink:

23. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Simon. I will order some WP HP5+/FP4+ once the detail is out.

Alex W.

24. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

I'm really not trying to be an ass.

I have never shot film larger than 4x5", so none of this affects me in any way. I just think the reason why isn't explained clearly. Deltas are available in sheet film sizes, no?

25. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Delta 100 is available in sheet sizes, but not 400. The reason not to offer Delta 100 is that there wouldn't be enough sales of two medium-speed films to justify offering special cuts in both emulsions, so it's going to be FP4+ or Delta 100, but not both. I assume the decision to go with FP4+ is based on the popularity of FP4+ among sheet film users.

26. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    [...]

The magic words are: "dilute sales" and "higher ... costs". Given the sales volumes for ULF film it would be commercially daft for anyone to produce two fast films and two slow films in ULF. Personally I'm very grateful that Ilford make ANY film in ULF sizes. That they are prepared to make such a wide variety of sizes is a testament to their support for the film community. So thanks again Simon!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008