ILFORD Photo / CHANGE TO 120 WRAPPERS

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Simon R Galley, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear ILFORD Roll Film Users,

Back in 2006 I asked for feedback from APUGGERS on changing to generic wrappers for 120 film. With your positive feedback we have progressed this.

Between now and mid Year 2007* all our 120 films will change to generic wrappers, essentially all the branding ( FP4+ / HP5+ / Delta 100 / Delta 400/ PAN F + / SFX 200 etc , will be removed from the wrapper and transferred to the exposed and unexposed labels , the wrappers are identical in quality to the branded ones they replace. As originally stated this is being done to improve flexibility and to try and help offset rising costs.

* All ILFORD 120 films will move to generic wrappers by approximately mid Year, timing is purely dependant on manufactured volumes and existing branded wrapper stocks, so it could be any film any time.

To give you an example of added flexibility, it is one of the reasons why we have been able to re-introduce SFX 200 film in 120 as we can now use a generic label.

So once again thanks for your feedback and contribution to our product offerings.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited:

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm, I guess there is no chance of implementing the features of the
    MF film rolls: design and convenience
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/36375-mf-film-rolls-design-convenience.html
    thread...

The problem with generic wrapping is that you won't be able to tell the film unless its either in its box or completely opened. For example, we will have to mark the wrappers if we place different film without boxes inside a pouch.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This shouldn't be a problem as the only time it is not visible is when it is in the camera.

Steve.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sounds like a sensible move. Just be sure the new printing is visible through red window backs!

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I hope youalso switch back to blacker inks for printing the frame numbers so the films are more easily used in older cameras with red windows. The present gray inks require either facing the red window towards the sun, a bad idea, or using a flashlight.

This would be a tremendous help to those of us wh like to use antique cameras.
    Thanks,
    Jim

6. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ahh Mr.Goldfarb,

This has been mentioned to me several times before, we are aware that our numbers can be hard to see, but its better that than the number transferred right onto the image you have just exposed ( called wrapper offset in the trade ) a major problem with...you have guessed it ...red window back cameras...

Honestly though its a balance, and where film is involved, we will always err on the side of extreme caution, our motto is 'you can make another print, you can never have a single moment in time again'.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Also those brand new Chinese rollfilm backs and pano cameras often use the red window.

Foma's backing is probably the best in this regard--silver print on black paper with very clear dots leading up to the frame number.

8. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear David,

I agree FOMA's are the clearest, but our backing paper is totally different to theirs, its about the interaction between the backing paper and the film, we could not print like that on our wrappers without introducing a risk to the film product.

Kind Regards

Simon.

9. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hats off to Ilford for keeping things going. If this is what they have to do, then this is what they have to do. We can adapt, it is the least we can do in these stormy times...

10. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, Simon. I think we were posting at the same time.

11. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's going to be like the Efke films, in that the paper label sticking around the roll contains the brand name. So even if your film is out of the package, the seal has the name on it. When it's exposed, the closing seal also has the name.

12. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No worries re the wrappers Simon, but is there any chance of a return of the peppermint sticky-tab? Its loss could endanger the entire future of after-dinner photography! :wink:

(Seriously though, it would be a nice touch if it could be returned.)

13. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds cool. Will each of Fp4, Hp5 etc have their own flavour sticky? Can I put a vouch for gooseberry flavour ; Hp5 or PAnf - :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It would be great if you could tell the film by taste and smell, but Simon unfortunately is no connoisseur when it comes to film: he likes 'em plain and untouched.

16. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Hey Simon, smart financial move! I'm sure there'll be some crazies on here that'll lament the "end of an era", but a wrapper is a wrapper, it's what's inside that counts. If that makes you more money and costs us no more money, it's a win-win situation for all involved. Keep making good films and we'll keep buying from you, for volume commercial work too, not just a roll on the weekends :smile:

Regards,

~Karl Borowski

17. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear all,

Well believe it or not we cannot use synthetic flavours ( because thats what they are ) do you know why not ? because Apugger Ole in Norway is allergic to them, and he came all the way from Norway for our factory tour...and he is considerably bigger than me...

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

18. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Awww, OLE! :rolleyes:

Simon, does it help that I'm bigger than Ole? (Well, rounder anyway...)

And substantially closer...!

:wink:

19. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If necessary I can discuss the possibility to lower down your roll film costs by making your backing paper by Foma in Hradec Kralové. :smile:

Next week i am overthere for the Forte "problem" and some other issues according new production in the Czech Republic.

best regards,

Robert

20. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know it's silly, but it used to tickle me pink every time that the seals were peppermint flavoured: that's what I call attention to detail!

Fotohuis: ask them if they have any 220 finishing machines they no longer need that they can let Ilford have... :wink:

Cheers, Bob.

21. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately Foma is able to do 120 roll film confectioning only but I see no reason why there couldn't be any coorporation between the main suppliers of classical film and paper production.
    Fuji and Kodak is able to do 220 roll film production only. The main question is : For how long?
    If Ilford is able to join our efforts to do something about the situation in Vác, Hungary (Forte), there is no problem to talk with them either.
    9:00 O'clock (AM) in Hradec Kralové, Czech Republic Friday 16th February 2007, Headquarter of Foma. The tea (or Becherovka) will be ready :D .

Best regards,

Robert

22. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Smart move, and thanks for informing this group in advance.

Great way to illustrate the rationale behind this choice, Simon. Even the most sour person can't complain now :D It's for a good cause! :tongue:

23. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fings aint wot they used to be

Please add my vote to the throng too!:smile: :D :tongue:

24. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh, yes, we must have that "hint of mint"!

After all, analog photography is a civilized passtime.

I can live with generic wrappers. The only Ilford film I use in 120 is HP5+, so that keeps things plenty simple for me!

25. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generic wrappers won't be a problem for me, but the numbers just have to be darker. Please find a way to make it happen without causing the print-through problem. There has to be a way.

26. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still have a freezer full of Freestyle "