Ilford PQ universal vz Ilford multigrade paper developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Juraj Kovacik, May 15, 2004.

1. Juraj Kovacik

Juraj Kovacik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Salesman adviced me strongly use for Ilford MG FIBER paper only PQ universal developer, not Ilford multigrade developer. Is there any point or was it only bunkum of merchat who is overstocked with PQ developer and is trying to sold it? Thanks JK

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gosh, I better stop using selectol soft and dektol.

3. mark

mark Member

SOunds like a load of crap to me.

4. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "was it only bunkum of merchat who is overstocked with PQ developer and is trying to sold it? "

YUP!

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jurajk, the store probably has a large inventory of PQ Universal. The main difference in the two developers is image tone.

Download the .pdf files on B&W Paper Developers from Ilford: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/paperdeveloper.pdf

Ilford sells three concentrated liquid paper developers:
    1. Ilford Multigrade Developer, a "Slightly Neutral Tone of Image" Dimezone-S/Hydroquinone developer.
    2. Ilford PQ Universal Developer, a "Slightly Warm of Neutral Tone of Image" Dimezone-S/Hydroquinone developer.
    3. Ilford Bromphen Developer, less concentrated than the previous two, a "Slightly Warm of Neutral Tone of Image" Phenidone/Hydroquinone developer.

Since Dimezone-S is one of the Phenidone developing agents, all three of these developers are PQ developers.

I have been mixing PQ Universal "from scratch" (I use Phenidone - not Dimezone-S) for many years. It is easy to turn it into a neutral-cold image tone developer by adding benzotriazole (start by adding 1 gram per liter of the working solution). The resulting developer gives results very similar to Dektol's, but the image "comes up" a little faster.

6. Juraj Kovacik

Juraj Kovacik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Tom for detailed explanation. JK