Ilford SFX 200 - 120 Film

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Josef Guay, May 8, 2007.

1. Josef Guay

Josef Guay Subscriber

Is this film available anywhere in the US? I can find only 35mm not for medium format cameras.

2. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle's expected delivery date keeps slipping. It's now showing two weeks off. Yesterday it showed today.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My LCS (local camera shop) had an email from the distributor showing the first shipments would be this week. As of Friday they had no new information.

4. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have stock numbers and prices for the shop at which I work; I haven't ordered any because I'm still trying to gauge demand. I know I'll probably buy at least 5 rolls, but I don't know what Wynit's minimum order size is for a company our size. :-\

5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently it's 10 rolls, since that's what I had to order, and the shop I'm ordering through gets it from Wynit's.

6. lifein2x3

lifein2x3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @bdial, I want to say that all Ilford products are now distributed through Wynit, but I'm not sure. It could just be an east coast thing (we're in Richmond, VA.) I've talked to the ordering guy at our main store, he put an order in the other day. Hopefully I'll see some in the next two weeks or so.

7. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered some from Rob Skeoch in Canada and it's shipped already, so it should be available in the US.

8. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This item is now on backorder from wynit. I'll repost when they ship my second order.
    -Rob

9. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This probably isn't the right thread to say this but I've been waiting for the right moment and it doesn't seem to arise ;-)

I'm sure this has been said before, too...

Anyway, I believe SPX 200 was developed from a speed camera film. The idea was you put a deep red filter on the flash of the speed camera so as not to blind the drivers and then you can photograph them from the front. I ordered some Ilford special order speed camera film years ago, I think it was called SP815? This really was very similar to SFX200. I must admit I wasn't so very impressed. It really didn't seem to give the true IR effect I liked. I much prefered Konica. I found the Kodak far too grainy...

Anyway, when SFX came out I was hoping the sensitisation was going to be different, that it would go a little deeper into the IR, but I'm not sure if it was really any different :-(

So, especially now that Konica has gone, it would be great to see an SFX II which was sensitised just a little bit further into the IR.

Fantasy, probably, but if you don't ask...

Steve

10. wirehead

wirehead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I dono... I'm behind on posting sample pics, but I kinda like the SFX effect because it's more subtle and the film's cheaper than the alternatives and otherwise very well-behaved.

If you want a Konica replacement, it's probably Efke IR820c, although even that's not exactly like Konica 750. But it's a fine-grained film with loads of IR sensitivity.

My personal fantasy would be a T-grain/Delta-grain/Sigma grained IR film. That would be fun. Not going to happen, but fun to dream about. :smile:

Oh, and Freestyle shipped my SFX 120 format film.

11. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the SFX for many subjects where Konica would have been a bit over the top. I used and loved Konica, as well, but for different subjects. The SFX gives me beautiful textures on steel structures, both painted or rusted. It's also great for some rock formations and masonry. Nice and contrasty, but with lots of detail in the 120 format.

I'm thrilled SFX is back. I miss Konica. The Efke 820 is great, but again different from any of the others. I haven't found its perfect niche for me yet, but I'll certainly keep trying.

12. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Apart from SFX, which of the IR films has the least sensitivity to IR?

13. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The current Rollei film (not the new one they're currently testing) is also an "enhanced red sensitive" aerial film by Agfa-Gaevert. Quite similar to SFX, but I still prefer the SFX, especially it's cost.