Ilford SFX filters

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Gary Holliday, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am looking for a suitable filter to use with Ilford SFX.

Ilford's filter is unsuitable so if anyone has suggestions for a bay 60 or 100x100mm filter let me know.

A slight infra-red effect will be fine.

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The filter is equivalent to a Wratten 89B (very dark red - almost opaque) so any filter that claims 89B compatibility will be fine.

Cheers, Bob.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Gary,

Look for a T50 (50 per cent transmission) of 710-720nm for strong infra-red effects, T50 of 695nm or so for more modest effects.

I always used 52mm filters in a 52-Bay60 adapter when I used Hasselblads -- but I had no wide-angles, so I don't knw what the effect would be there.

Cheers,

R.

4. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends what you mean by slight infrared effect.

To get "wood effect" with leaves going white, I've never been able to achieve it.

To get jet black skies and water and puffy white clouds, a Red # 25 will often give it under bright conditions, and a #29 is even better. I rate it at 100 speed, and adjust for the filter factor.

It's my favorite film by far for photographing old steel bridges, buildings, etc.

5. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would like to know why you mention that the Ilford filter is "unsuitable"?

thx

6. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gary,
    if you have a gel holder, I'm pretty certain I have a Wratten 89b in 125mm square.

erie

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I could never get this wood effect with a red# 25 either but it can be done with a SFX filter as I have seen in the R Hicks and F Schultz book "Quality in Photography."

pentaxuser

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ...at EI 6 to 12 (insofar as EIs mean anything with IR)

Cheers,

R.

9. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lot of people go very far in cutting visible light component, but in my experience with Konica Infrared 750, I can get very good IR effect (with bright leaves) using an orange filter, which is easier if you use an SLR. (I personally prefer rangefinder or p&s for infrared.) This may not be the same with HIE or SFX, though.

I want to burn a lot of IR film in my panoramic camera so I'm in market for cheap IR film... to take place of Konica.

10. wirehead

wirehead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's because Konica 750 had a hump in the middle, so it really didn't matter if you used an orange or a red filter. It was kind of an ortho + IR film. IIRC, Laurie White's "Infrared Photography Handbook" covered that. HIE was similar, simply because it's got so much IR sensitivity.

The IR film J&C announced was like 750, to the point where you could use a green safelight.

Alegedly (and I'm going to test this some over the weekend, assuming the second half of my recent Adorama order comes through) Efke IR820, Rollei IR, and SFX all don't play like that. The new Rollei IR film may be more like HIE and Konica, which would be awful nice.

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Pit, rather than hump, surely: the 'green gap', caused by the absence of a red sensitizing dye. I have to say I hadn't realized this, but I do know that SFX is an extended-red pan film, in other words, with full pan sensitization plus near-IR.

Cheers,

R.

12. wirehead

wirehead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I stand corrected.

13. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. By unsuitable I meant that the size of the Ilford filter would not fit my 100x100mm ProShade.

I've found a 89B Lee 100mm filter on feeBay so that's perfect.

By slight IR effect I meant that I don't go for the full blown HIE look of IR.

J&C 750 IR?? Their site is down so I'll see if I can find some information on that.. Can anyone elaborate?

14. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be amazed: it worked!

The Cokin P007 is about the same price from dealers. I just ordered one of the new Ilford/Cokin P-size filters from RK Photographic (it's not on the website as far as I could see) for about £15 as my old gel one has sustained unacceptable levels of collateral damage...

Cheers, Bob.

16. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format