Ilford ULF-film in Europe

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bherg, Dec 9, 2006.

1. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello world,

Do anyone know if Europe are or are going to get a piece of the ULF-film run?

there must be ppl in europe using larger than 8x10. If it is the only way, so be it. But shipping it to USA and then back to europe is not good for my wallet nor the enviroment.

Cheers Johannes

2. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Johannes,

I expect you will get the same response from Ilford as we Europeans got during the last ULF offer. This is how I read it, 'We can't be bothered with your small quantities'. I found another route and bought £1100 worth at that time, but I doubt I'd do it again.

I am mystified by Ilford's marketing of these products...

They deal exclusively with a US company Wynit Inc, I can understand the business sense of this. However Wynit Inc do not appear to be visibly marketing this product.

J&C appear to be the only supplier to be advertising this offer, even though they are closed until January 15th. This is the closing date for Ilford ULF orders (I know they are still taking orders whilst closed)

Other US 'Ilford Approved Suppliers' are not advertising the offer as far as I can see.

A subscriber to the the 'official' Ilford forum has just mentioned this. No previous advert or input from Ilford.

During the last run I asked Ilford if any European outlets would be selling these products and was told 'There has been no interest'. In my opinion there was no interest because they were not made aware of the ULF run in good time. I understand that stockists do not want expensive items sitting on their shelves. But I beleive that a similar deal could have been arranged in Europe as the J&C deal, we order and pay up front.

So Johannes I would not hold your breath.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    You would think that perhaps Robert White might be able to arrange distributing the ULF film sizes with Ilford. I have also noticed the lack of advertising from the others who sold the film before. I will contact the place I bought from before and see if they have heard that Ilford is getting ready to do another run. If so, that's good, if not, can they look into it as the deadline is Jan. 15?

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would assume that Lotus might be a good distributor as well as Robert White. And what about Nordfoto, or our friend Fotohuisrovo?

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Retrophotographic would be a good choice too as they have links with Fotoimpex. Not that it concerns me directly as I don't go bigger than 4x5, but it does seem a bit blinkered to only look to supply the US. I know there is little profit in it for Ilford, but even so...

Cheers, Bob.

6. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not sure I'd rely on fotoimpex anyway. I asked for prices on sheet film in 13x18 cm size and got this answer back:

"Ilford or Kodak films are difficult to organize in metric size as the
    manufacturers are discontinuing the production of these old sizes. They
    are also more than twice as expensive than our films."

Needless to say, I am underwhelmed by the sales pitch.

Nordfoto has a minimum order of €200 outside Germany, btw. So much for the free trade system within the EU...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  7. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Johannes,

I can recommend our Swedish friend Frankie. He sells rebranded Fortepan 200 in all possible sizes.

Greetings,
    G

8. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yea, i have talked to him and he seems like a really cool guy.

But i still cant understand why Ilford cant make a part of the ULF runs go to Europe, if USA demands the whole run. Clearly there is market for more ULF film. A company making film today need all the sales they can get and not give the cold hand to whole europe.

But i hope that Ilford will meet the demand in europe to. there must be a market for it here to, or so i want to belive.

Cheers Johannes

9. BarryWilkinson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. uraniumnitrate

uraniumnitrate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now why would Ilford jump into that? It's a very small market and there is many actors like J&C, Bergger, Forte ,Foma, efke, Europan. Ecxept one those are all European If....! And of course you never know what's coming out of China in the future either?

11. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

As an FYI we did make ULF film available to our distributors in Europe, the issue is onward sales to resellers and holding stock, it is a tiny market, but one that we do care about, we will make it available to them again and I know for sure Silverprint in the UK bought quite a few of the sizes that were available last time. I will also post the names of any of our distributors in Europe who buy it.

Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited:

12. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I hope the distros jump into that.

Thank you Simon.

13. BarryWilkinson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be good business to support ULF customers, especially if they also buy their other products e.g. Paper & Chemicals.

I look forward to new products from China. Items I buy from China incur much cheaper shipping costs than from the USA.

Barry

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BarryWilkinson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I refer you to Andrew Forresters's post during the last ULF run...

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26526&page=3&highlight=ilford+silverprint

Perhaps Martin at Silverprint can enlighten us as to what film they were offered?

Barry

16. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, I was figuring it had something to do with the onward sales - I think there is a demand in Europe (even if it is small compared to the US) but it's hard to find somewhere to buy it from.

17. uraniumnitrate

uraniumnitrate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah it's there to see but I still wonder how many ULF that is over 8x10 are in Europe. I think It's maybe 50 units at most. And that is not going to be a good argument for storing a lots of ULF film in many sizes. I know 5 in Europe and they all got different sizes. Mostly they by a package now and than so just think about that.

Listen, I just come to think about two things. Actually I believe it's a lot more talkers than owners of ULF stuff in this site and in Europe general also the guy who sells Europan delivers everything with in two weeks if you prepared to by a minimum order. So what we are talking about here it's a factory fresh film! Not stored in ages somewhere! And that is makes a lots of sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
  18. BarryWilkinson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also don't know how many ULF users there are in Europe. I mentioned China because there are at least two ULF manufacturers there so someone may start ULF film cutting? It would be nice to have some alternatives.

As I said in my earlier post, I now have quite a lot of film at this time. When my stocks deplete I'll talk you you about European film.

Barry

19. uraniumnitrate

uraniumnitrate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah it's difficult to know as here in Europe some people building their own cameras!
    For example “Argus” that is his alias/user name here otherwise his name is Geert and lives in Belgium! He manufactured a 7x17 camera and holders to it! A handy guy, seen picks of the camera look real nice so as the holders. Do you know that he manufacture ground glasses too nowadays for all view cameras? So if you have a problem talk to him with confidence. He also do glasses with grid.

20. mammolo

mammolo Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well, I understand that J&C won't accept orders for the next run of ULF Ilford film after Jan 15th, 2007. Is this my only option to get 14x17 HP5 or HP4 shipped to continental Europe or there is some source in Europe as well for this run?

Any alternative to Ilford in Continental Europe? Efke/Adox and Bergger, that's it? And what is your preferred source for them? I am only interested in 14x17.

Thanks a million.

Marco

21. BarryWilkinson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interestingly, HP5+ in 11x14 (and 12x20) is not shown as 'Special Order' in the current Ilford catalogue. Note FP4+ is. It would be interesting to place an order. :smile:

See http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/productlist.asp?n=7&t=Consumer+&+Professional+Films

Barry

22. uraniumnitrate

uraniumnitrate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may try this.

http://www.mamutphoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=366.0

23. mammolo

mammolo Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks a million for the link. I will certainly keep it in mind.

Best

Marco

24. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello apug-world.

Any new news on the Ulf-films? have any of the european distros been informed? have any choose to stock?

The choice of format i choose, i base upon the avalability of film.

Cheers Johannes

25. uraniumnitrate

uraniumnitrate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really don’t understand you at all! Buy a camera based on film availability? You can buy a 135 mm, 120, 4x5 or 8x10 and there is no problem at all to get films! I mean Ilford because that is what you want
    The higher you go the more difficult is to get films but it’s not impossible! (However it’s not likely to be Ilford) To be an ULF photographer is not like going down to your local shop and buying 25 sheets! Forget it!
    There are all sizes available from different manufacturers but to be an ULF man requires planning ahead and some money! This means buying large quantities and stores it those in your fridge frozen until using it and see to it that you have some money to a new order at the time you open your last box!
    Let’s say that Kodak push out some unusual ULF films it would be sold out within days or so! The most reliable source in Europe is this guy http://www.mamutphoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=366.0 however he is selling Forte under the name of Europan and at least he is not lying about it but, he will take your money in advance and fix everything within two or three weeks. No neon signs or anything like that but deliver factory fresh film. This is hard to beat.
    In my opinion the most common sizes are 11x14 and 7x17 and it's probobly the easiest to by film over the disk. But I'm not sure about this and maybe somebody may correct me here.

26. BarryWilkinson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its about time you came clean and told everybody that you are the person selling this film. Good luck in your enterprise, but you should consider being a sponsor here.

ULF Film is still cut by Forte, Bergger and currently Ilford. I'm sure others will follow in China.

Barry