Ilford ULF Films any time soon?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by reggie, Dec 2, 2005.

1. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi:

I have read on the Ilford forum that there is a possibility that they will make some ULF films. Does anyone have any info on this? Sizes? Will they cut these sizes one or two times a year?

Any info would be appreciated.

-R

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. Daniel Grenier

Daniel Grenier Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have no idea what their plans are but if, by some small miracle, they make 7x17 FP4, I will buy a s&*t load of it.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just FYI, I noticed that Efke PL100 is on sale in 7x17" at J&C--half price (short or past date, I'm guessing).

5. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Dave,

I had missed that

6. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

I am Simon from ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited : We are currently in the feasability stage of various ULF sizes ( see the link to the thread ) it will be HP5+ and FP4+ only, date of production will be notified once the product launch phase is agreed.

Simon.

7. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon! If I may steal the thread for a moment, Simon, do you know if SFX will make a return and if so, in what formats?

8. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is not a realy good message from overseas. HP5+, in size 9x12cm, now in Germany over 30% increase in price??? Is there any explanation for it??? The next price increase for about 20% are the papers. Be aware...

9. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Harry - considering the diminished market, I'd consider a 30% price increase to be rather modest. The new, restructured company needs to be profitable, even if with a smaller market base. The alternative (no film or paper) is even less pleasant.

10. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Jim,

SFX : We are considering manufacturing once per annum : The date we have talked about is March 2006 : But this will be highly dependant on a few factors, roll film
    volumes are so small this will not be made agfain ...sorry.

SIMON.

11. Simon R Galley

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Harry,

We have many factors that influence the cost of manufacture, raw materials, energy costs, batch sizes, stock turns etc, when you get to low volume products like mono sheet films we have had to adjust pricing. But what you have seen in Germany ( and other places as well ) is a combination of factors, some related to the change to a distributor market and and price adjustments that were required on the founding of the new company HARMAN technnology Limited back in February. We will do our best to offer best value for money and continue to make as wide a range of products available as possible.

Simon.

12. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortuantely the scarcity of mfgs of ULF film is going to have an effect on pricing. Also as demand for smaller formats decreases the cost of production and running the machines has to be spread over a smaller pool of consumers.

If Ilford was the only game in town I would be worried about overly high pricing, but with Efke and Foma also making ULF film there is competition.

Personally I don't mind paying higher prices for Ilford or Kodak ULF film for one reason- consistency. With Ilford I am 99.9% confident that when I buy film the quality will be excellent. IN ULF FP4 and HP5 should handle any possible subject matter and situation.

13. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. At least it might be in 35. That's something!

14. frednewman

frednewman Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Simon from ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited - Thanks for the good news as I have customers waiting to place orders for ultra large format film.

Fred Newman/View Camera Store

15. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

Hello Simon:

We are anxiously waiting Ilford ULF films and to continue to support Ilford in their contribution to the LF community. FP4 is my choice and I will acquire a second freezer with news of availability of sheet films in larger sizes. Cheers!