Ilford warm tone vs Foma (another mat paper question)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by nze, Dec 4, 2007.

1. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all

Does anybody use both these paper and can tell me if the ilford one is mater than the Foma. I find the foma not mat enough and look for another. I already get some good Fore stuff but hope that the ilford product, more availabble to me, will be more mat than the Foma.

Best regards

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Christian. Have you given the WT Kentmere VC FB a try. I got a box of the semi mat and it was very mat. Too mat for my taste.
    Dennis

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Christian, I have both papers and to my eye the Ilford MGIV Warmtone semi-matte is glossier than the Foma Fomatone MG Classic. So, it's the opposite of what you want.
    The Kentmere Warmtone is a good suggestion but it doesn't have the silky smooth matte surface of either Foma or Ilford, it has that bubbly surface, like the old Agfa matte papers used to be.
    - Thomas

4. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all

dennis , I don't give a try yet , but wil order some. In fact I 've just bought an old stock of mat Portriga rapid to print on for a moment.

5. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Our Warmtone Matt is absolutely dead matt....

Simon ILFORD Photo

6. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

I second that. I use some Galerie matt which is really as matt as anything I've seen.
    Mark

7. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's interesting. I wasn't even aware that there was a matt warmtone. All I can get is glossy or semimatt. What I was referring to was semimatt, just to make it clear.
    - Thomas

8. dida

dida Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    :smile:
    It depends on point of view .... I loved Ilfospeed pearl finish and Foma produce their Fomaspeed in Velvet, which is nearly the same. But As Thomas wrote, Fomatone and Ilford Warmtone differs a bit.
    r.

9. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I do have some Ilford WT mat on hand and it is very non reflective. I almost like it. But I prefer glossy.

10. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks all

I use both surface mat and glossy , but I like real glossy and real matt. ilfomar even in semi mat has no shine but differ from a mat paper. foma mat paper I use has a little shine that make it look as a poor glossy and not mat.

Best.

11. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks all

I use both surface mat and glossy , but I like real glossy and real matt. ilfomar even in semi mat has no shine but differ from a mat paper. foma mat paper I use has a little shine that make it look as a poor glossy and not mat.

Best.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    We spend a lot of time on APUG discussing different manufacturers surfaces and it is difficult for the person inquiring to reach a conclusion. The best description possible on the net is wholly inadequate compared to seeing and feeling the paper.

Manufacturers produce sample books for dealers to show to customers but unless you can get to a dealer in person this doesn't help. Might be a good idea if manufacturers would be prepared to send samples books to customers for a price or alternatively send enough samples to dealers who could send to customers for a charge and then deduct the charge on the first order provided the sample book was returned.

Just a thought

pentaxuser

13. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    pentax user ,

that wil be helpful if any store do that . They will be able to offer a some set of sample to satiesfied customers. But live in a very small french town and I am lucky enough to have a good dealer closed to my home who accept ilford and tetenal product. But for the other paper I need to go to Paris.

good thought