Ilford

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Dave Miller, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Silver print have an item on Ilford that may be of interest to those following the fortunes of that company.Silverprint
    Check out their news page.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That looks like good news!

3. alien

alien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    very good news indeed!!

I posted your link straight away on a German forum to cheer them up a bit!

Great news, that is!

And I like that loyal customers seemed to have made some sort of impact with the receivers - maybe you can move some things after all!

At least you can try...

4. Dug

Dug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I notice they make a point of pointing out "monochome" in their statements. As an Ilfochrome printer, I hope they can continue to sell the Ilfochrome paper and chemicals.

Thanks for the "insider" article!

5. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear more optimism coming from ilford. Just placed an order yesterday for 8x10 and 11x14 warmtone FB.

Now I will continue to keep my fingers crossed that Sheet film will continue to be produced by the roll so we can have source for ULF sizes of HP5 and FP4.

6. ElrodCod

ElrodCod Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    It's old "news" from February.

7. Isa7bela

Isa7bela Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I could slow down buying films as my freezer is void of any edible items. Now, if AgfaPhoto would just get their business straightened up, no need to purchase a second freezer.

Great news !!

8. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "On non-monochrome products, the rights to Ilford brand continue to be held by Ilford Imaging of Marly, located between Berne and Lausanne in Switzerland".

The "new" Ilford is only concerned with the "old" Ilford's B&W materials. As the Swiss operation is heavily inkjet based these days, it's anybody's guess what will happen to Ilfochrome..

Bob.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dave. Seeing this has prompted me to say that on checking Ilford paper prices last night at a number of suppliers I could not find better than Mathers of Bolton, in UK

. Packet of 100 (5x7) Ilford Multigrade IV RC( Glossy or Pearl) £9.90 plus £2.95 postage.
    Packet of 100(8x10) £19.90 plus £3.95 postage. They take orders by phone or fax or e-mail and if it is before 4:00pm it is despatched that day.

Downside is that only multigrade IV is available

Nova Darkroom on 10x8 is nearly as good but has higher postage charge( about £4.95 I think) although I think it stays at that irrespective of weight - presumably within reason but worth checking out as it sells a lot of heavy stuff like secondhand enlargers where postage would be monstrous otherwise.

Any UK based subscribers know of better deals?

PS Dave. I was very interested to see your East Midlands Monochrome Group site and your notes in APUG. Your group is what I have been looking for to help me with B&W. I'll try and make one of your meetings - I am only about 22 miles to the west in Daventry but unfortunately 6 July is out for me.

Pentaxuser

10. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the best recent news is that some of Ilford's powdered chemicals are coming back. Check B&H for availability. I know Perceptol's not listed yet, but it's supposed to be back soon...I can hardly wait!

11. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll do a backflip if Perceptol comes back! I've been saving my last 1L box to develop the perfect negative of the perfect photograph.

12. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentaxuser
    You make valid points about Ilford suppliers, those we feature on the EMMG links page offer a broad range of monochrome products, so are considered worthy of our support. It is always tempting to cherry-pick suppliers to find the cheapest, but we risk losing out in the long run. Perhaps the corner shop syndrome applies, where we bemoan their disappearance after giving our money to the supermarket. However when faced with paying £30 a box for 10x8 Multigrade or £20 at Nova, I shop at the latter, but then they fit my criteria of offering a wide range of goods so I can supplement my order without difficulty.
    You, as will any other APUGer, be very welcome at any EMMG meet. The 3rd August is a Critique evening with the set subject of - Close-up – for the first half, and open subject after that. We are going to try a different system of encouraging discussion of prints on display, could be fun or chaos! We have been accused of being too nice in the past so people are not having faults in their prints highlighted. I am not sure I want my faults discussed - it could take all night!

13. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From all indications (including a dicussion on the Ilford forum in which an Ilford employee contributed), Perceptol will be the third of the powdered developers re-released. Given that ID-11 powder is supposed to be in stock at B&H soon and the others are supposed to follow over the course of "a few months", I'd guess we'll have Perceptol back around the end of the summer. (Then I can use the 1L box I've been hoarding too!)

14. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then I believe I need to practice my backflip... Woowoo!

15. Dug

Dug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoarding my last Ilfochrome P30 kit and added my name to a couple of the 38(!) backordered P30 kits at my local supplier. No backflips for me.... yet.

16. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I need is for them to re-start production of 220 Delta 400, I only live two miles from Ilford's factory and they have in the past sponsored my work by donating film, so I have great loyalty to them. So far this year I have spent over 600 UK pounds (around $1,000 US) on 220 B&W film. I would so like to have spent it with Ilford, but as things are, it had to be Tri-X, which is lower resolution and so less suited to my needs (that said, thank you Kodak for still making it).

David.

17. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Wooliscroft--I would love to see Ilford resume making 220 film. I wasn't aware that they had ever offered Delta 400 in 220, though. I thought that it was only FP4+ and HP5+.

18. BlackandWhite40

BlackandWhite40 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perceptol 1Ltr will be back in the UK in July........let's see that backflip!
    ID11 1L and 5L, Microphen 1L are already back in stock.