Ilford's Latest Press Release: Positive Future For Film.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Andy K, May 14, 2007.

1. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Andy. That was great reading.

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ILFORD ILFORD RAH RAH RAH!!

4. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice piece!

5. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great reading. Now where's my black Ilford polo T-shirt?

6. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nice Piece! Great Ilford....

7. haris

haris Guest

Yes, very good and thanks to Ilford/Harman for all they do. But! (there is allways one but :smile:)

This paper (or this kind of papers, which promote positive words about analoug photograhy) should be spread much more instead having them only on "specialized" places, like manufacturers web sites or APUG or expencive "photo arty" magazines or like.

For example, only one "good" amateur photo magazine available in former Yougoslavia (written on language speaking in this area, about 25 millions of people) countries have in every issue atleast one, if not more, article which begins like "Having in mind that analoug photography is history/dead/not exsists anymore (whatever you want)". I am sure many readers of that magazine do not visit Ilford photo web site and do not read that paper. They read magazine artice, and because of it not even think about getting into analoug if they are begginers, or continue to work analogue if they are not really inlove with analogue. I don't know if this is situation in other magazines in World. Maybe big advetizers make "blackmails" to magazine(s). If someone tells good things about analogue, that confront with ads of digi tools from those advertizers, and thus those advertizers will not place expencive ads into magazines which promote analoug, or atleast not try to "kill" it.

There should be a way to spread those kind of words like we read in this Ilford paper to wider audience.

8. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well that was a good start to my day!
    Long live Ilford!

9. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great article.

Regards, Art.

10. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    great article and it gives us stubborn analog photographers hope.

Regards,
    ijsbeer.

11. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are these the comments Simon R Galley suggested he was compiling from Harman's Marketing Director?

Tom.

12. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  13. dphill

dphill Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yea Team!! :smile::tongue::D:tongue::smile:

14. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news and definitely encouraging!

15. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    God, that was the most positive thing about film I've read in years!

16. Paul.

Paul. Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yep great news.
    As Harris says a pitty it was not wider circulated amonst the general public.

regards Paul.

17. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just post it on other forums. Do your bit of viral marketing :wink:

18. Krockmitaine

Krockmitaine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For me, it's déja-vu all over again.
    Back in the early 1990's, when everyone and their cousin got rid of their vinyl collections for the "superiority" of CD sound :rolleyes:, I could buy records at rock bottom prices, I mean, .50$ for a first edition of Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle. Hard to beat, and impossible to find at that price today.

People looked at me like I was a dinosaur, one who refuses the "advancement" of technology. I was even snobbed for thinking that vinyl was far superior to digital. :tongue: Like the Public Enemy song: "Don't believe the hype!" Thrust your own jugment for what is good for you.

Well, vinyl is still with us, not everywhere, but available for those who seek the warmth of the sound. It's a niche market now and collector spend a good amount of $$$ for limited editiions.

The same phenomenon is happening with analog photography. You can buy photo equipment for next to nothing now, but this period won't last. The prices will go up in a few years time and we will see the emergence of new cameras, dedicated to a specialized market. It's already happening.

There's a future for all those Ilfords of this world that listen and caters to their customers. :D

Marc

19. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Marc I think you're absolutely right. Cameras like late Nikons & many others can be obtained incredibly cheaply compared to what they cost 2 or 3 years ago. And Zeiss have just introduced a new line of manual focus lenses to fit them. Just wish I could afford one - will have to start saving.

20. Krockmitaine

Krockmitaine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup, those cameras are marvelous.
    But first, must pay the student loan :rolleyes:
    Good news is, if I restrain myself, this will be done before the end of the year :D

Marc

21. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree with analog equipment being really cheap now compared to a few years ago, but in regards to their prices rising in a few years' time or the emergence of new cameras, I have to disagree. Didn't Nikon and Canon announced that they're not coming out with new film cameras, and there hasn't been a new Pentax, Olympus, Leica or Minolta (Sony bought them over) film camera announced since the last major 35mm film camera - Nikon F6 came out. It'll be nice if the prices of used analog gear go up, but it's doubtful.

22. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While there are film companies like Ilford and film camera devotees like Mr Kobayashi, there will be cameras and film.

23. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    While your statement is quite true for the specific brands mentioned, there ARE brand new film cameras being designed and manufactured. Consider the Cosina company, which produces the Voigtlander line of "M" mount rangefinder cameras bearing the Voigtlander name. There are at least 4 current models, with 2 being new this year. They also build under contract the new Zeiss-Ikon "M" mount rangefinder cameras, now at 2 models. These are brand new designs. Not to mention the literally dozens of small production Large Format cameras being made, and panoramic cameras. Even the newest medium-format cameras from Roelli/Sinar and Hasselblad/Fuji, while primarily designed for digital, have film backs available. The film camera industry is not dead, it is just not in the mainstream of consumer cameras.