Ilford's single use HP5+ camera?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Andy K, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A while - since before they went into administartion, they "resurrected" it again some time ago (it was in one of the 'we are aking this again' announcements by Ilford).

3. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since October 2003 (the date of the PDF)? :wink:

I'm not sure about in which markets the single-use camra is sold, however.

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I look at that products page at least once a week, and I never noticed it before! I must be getting oldtimers disease! :smile:

5. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    keep taking the arricept Andy - you'll be fine.

6. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't worry, Andy. I forgot to look at whatever we were talking about, too. :wink:

7. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah? What? Where am I? What are you doing in my living room? Toodle Pip! Pass the butter Mr. Peterson...

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

8. DKT

DKT Member

they've been around for more than a few years...I can't say for certain though. I gave a little talk once to a group of schoolkids that take part in a history "club" type thing our museum runs statewide through the school system. They have an architectural preservation photo contest every year and it requires the kids to use b/w film and paper like a mini HABS/NHR survey ...we kept getting questions about what kinds of film to use when everyone was using color neg in their point-n-shoots or later on using digital. I got one of those one-time use cameras with XP2 in it and tried to tell them to use that, but the kids misunderstood this and a lot of them used the HP5 camera, and took the film to local drugstore labs or Wolf etc, and the negs were pretty bad actually, or the parents/teachers complained about how much it cost to get the film developed... XP2 was my choice for the C41 process, but somehow we had a failure to communicate....

so long story, but I still have one of the XP2 cameras on my desk. it sez, International Paper on it, so that oughta date it as far as Ilford goes. Also has an exp. date of 1998. 24 exposures + 3 extra! "say cheese...Look at the world in Black & White...Fun..Convenient!" "The world looks good in black & white"...

9. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

We brought back the HP5+ single Use Camera pretty quickly after the establishment of HARMAN technology Limited. Its a popular product in certain markets, especially for people wishing to 'experiment' with monochrome. They are also very popular to keep in the glovebox of your car in case you have a 'prang' .

SIMON / ILFORD Photo / Harman technology Limited

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And if you didn't already know that Ilford was from the UK - this comment would confirm it! :D

Matt

11. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon, are these available at all in the USA? I've never seen one with HP5+, but might well buy one or two if I could find them; I'm not all that impressed with C-41 B&W films, but HP5+ is perfectly proper silver image stock... :smile:

12. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Donald,

The US distributor does hold some in stock, I guess if your supplier sent a special order to ILFORD US I guess the US distributor could deliver.

As to Matt : Got me...

Simon.

13. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are quite useful for having a photo contest in your club/society. Everyone using the same camera/film, nice way to sort the camera collectors from the photographers :D

14. DKT

DKT Member

donald--you can probably get one through southeastern camera if you're near any of their locations. I know the original store here in raleigh (now peace camera) stocks them from time to time. i've seen the HP5 cameras there up near the front counter where they stock odds & ends...

15. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, there's an Ilford dealer I visit every now and then (they process my 120 color film, when I shoot some), I'll have to check with them if they can get one or two of those cameras in. I don't recall seeing a Southeastern in Greensboro/High Point area, though I'm still not that familiar with the place (been here just over a year). Raleigh's a little far to go from here, though I suppose I could try to get someone in the area to mail me a camera or two, if all else fails... :wink:

Of course, I suppose I could just load a roll of HP5+ into one of my one-dollar plastic 35 mm junkers; they probably arent' much worse than the disposables, but it'd be nice to have the whole unit still in the wrapper, ready to open and use at a moment's notice, and be reasonably sure it'll give the right exposure...

16. DKT

DKT Member

there's no SEC over there in the Triad...closest one would be in Carrboro, but that store actually has their best selection of film & paper. The next closest store would be Camcor in Burlington. G-Boro had Carolina Camera for many years, but they closed shop last year. there's a really large photo dealer/supplier in Kernersville though--Diversified Imaging--but I'm not sure if they sell direct to consumers.

High Point is dead center for the furniture market studios like alderman's, tribuzio, norling's, omega studios, atlantic photographics etc. for years the triad was the place to be for photography in NC....it's like the hollywood of home furnishing catalog photography....

17. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. Unfortunately, that stuff is now about 100% silicon sensor. I have no idea how High Point Photo Supply is hanging on; they can't be selling enough new cameras to cover the mini-lab work they don't get any more. I bought up a bunch of TMY and a few other goodies when Carolina Camera's Market Street store closed (missed the other one by a year, give or take), all my budget could take.

And now it's the internet, and finding places that will ship chemicals is a major pain -- I might be unable to get more HC-110 when I run out because no one wants to ship liquids.