Ilfosol? How long?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by unohuu, Oct 23, 2004.

1. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I trashed a roll of 400 speed Ilford HP5+ when I forgot to check and see how long the Ilfosol had been sitting around. How do you decide when to toss out the old chemicals? I think that is one of the advantages of Rodinal. It sits on my shelf for months without me worrying about how fresh it is.

2. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When trying to work out the storage times and all that stuff, I just went to the Ilford website and pulled out the tech data sheets. They give all of the pertinent info for how and how long you can store chemistry.
    After I mix developer, I store it in a cool dry place after having dated it.

Kent

3. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I buy chemicals I write the date I bought it on the container with a permanent marker. When I open it, I write "Opened" then the date I opened it on the other side. I like Ilfosol, but the darned stuff is like dust in the wind!!! If you are not shooting a lot, it goes south pretty quick. I think 6 months is tops for it. I keep the open bottle 'squeezed up' as much as I can & really ream the lid down! :D
    Hope this helps some!

4. mikepry

mikepry Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I wrecked a roll of film with Ilfosol going south once as well. That was all it took for me. It wasn't opened that long at all. I have since gone to Ilfotec HD and find it keeps allot longer. Looking forward to the 6th!!