Illford Paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by razocaine_07, Nov 13, 2007.

1. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im needing to buy some multigrade and fibre based paper by illford, just wanna know what you guys recommend?

2. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Razocaine,

I'll second the choice of Multigrade, both FB and RC. Ilford tends to be rather consistent from batch to batch. Offhand, I can't think of any negative qualities for Ilford papers.

Konical

4. Jean Noire

Jean Noire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could also try the Warmtone FB or RC multigrade for a slightly warm tone image.
    Regards,
    John.

5. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would certainly recommend Ilford's MG warmtone paper both in fibre and RC. The papers 'colour' palette can be varied from cold to very warm depending on choice of paper developer.

Regards,
    Trevor.

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Trevor. What developer for very warm and much more difficult to describe, what is "very warm"? I have seen a number of Ilford Warmtone prints in Ilford Warmtone Developer and certainly the warmth is way lower than say Forte paper.

In fact I have always felt that Ilford Warmtone paper is a very subtle warmth and way short of the kind of browness I had associated with warm. Hopefully there is a developer that boosts the warmth above what Ilford Warmtone gives. That's not to say that subtle warmth is never right but just that greater warmth can be useful at times.

Thanks

pentaxuser

7. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just tone it slightly / partially using a sepia toner. Ilford Warmtone FB paper responds very well to toning, it has been specially designed for it, according to the Ilford website.

I just toned some prints in a two bath (bleach / redevelop) sepia toner today, using a diluted bleach for finer control of the bleaching stage. Great results that can get very warm with this paper.

8. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Warmth is of course relative for what I would consider very warm for my taste another would not agree.

Speaking personally I find the Ilford paper very warm when developed in their WT dev., dil. 1:9 and processed for just 1.1/2 minutes at a temperature of 23/24 C.

I must say that this paper is not as warm as Forte's Polywarmtone or Foma's Fomatone MG Classic.

Regards,
    Trevor.