I'm lost

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Ps1821, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Ps1821

Ps1821 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have just started getting into film photography. But I'm a little confused about shutter speeds. I just bought an old canon ft ql. I just need a jump start. Any info you have for me would be much appreciated!

2. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How are you confused? More detail about how you are confused would be helpful, but maybe the following will help get you started.

I wrote a couple short articles about the relationships between shutter speed and aperture. You can find them at https://fotodad.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/math-and-photography/ and https://fotodad.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/strange-number-sequence-in-photography/. The first one gives you a quick overview on the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. The second one goes more into apertures and why they follow a seemingly odd sequence.

3. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which part is confusing you? The slower the shutter speed the more light is let in. The faster the shutter speed the less light is let in. Faster shutter speeds can freeze motion, slower speeds allow bluring of motion.

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once was lost, and now you are found...welcome to Apug.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It may sound confusing at first but you will get the hang of it. Check out your local library. BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

7. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    canon ftql is one of the great cameras. does the meter work? Make sure it has a battery, read through the manual linked above, find some basic books on photography at the library and wander through those so you can get a feel for how high and low speeds and wide or narrow lens openings work together.

Then put a roll of film in it and screw up -- i guarantee this, but if you pay attention to what you're doing at the time you will figure it out by the 3rd roll and you're on you way.

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just remember, 1 shutter speed lower is equivalent to equivalent to 1 lens f-stop smaller

1 shutter speed = 1 aperture, with regards to light hitting the film

For broad daylight photo taking, set your shutter speed to the speed of the film you're using (or as close to it as you can) and set the lens setting to 16 and you're good to go. clouds or a little darker, set it to f8 or f11

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Ps1821 and welcome to APUG. You are no longer lost now that your here, perhaps confused, but not lost.:smile:

10. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am afraid Ps1821 is really lost as we see no further post.

11. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I dunno. Maybe he's out wasting film. Good for him.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like your quip. Dry humour but not nasty. However his post is not yet 24 hours old so maybe we have to give a little leeway. It's the one post on say, Jan 1 then 99 helpful replies over the next few days and occasional posts over many subsequent months or even years with no further OP response that gets to me:sad:

I have a feeling that there must be more to the OP's question than meets the eye as the shutter speed dial tells it all

pentaxuser

13. airgunr

airgunr Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would suggest looking up and getting a copy of John Hegecoe's, "The Manual of Photography". It's a great book to keep in you library. It covers all aspects of manual photography in short easy to understand sections with great graphics to help visualize the concepts. They are pretty cheap.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ps1821

Ps1821 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry still figuring out the web site. This has been helpful! I guess it is just a learning curve! I just need to get some books on photography.

16. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually if a camera is marked "60", it really means 1/60 second. Or 250 would mean 1/250 second.

17. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most libraries have gotten rid of their film related photography books. You would do well to check out your local thrift shop (Goodwill, etc.) or used book store.

20. marenmcgowan

marenmcgowan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Read books, but don't spend too much time on book knowledge...get out there and shoot pictures!

shoot a roll, process it and look at the results...and, learn how to look at your negs to evaluate your results! Enjoy!!

21. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This may be a rare case where somebody is brand new to any SLR camera, film or otherwise..... and totally clueless, not even knowing where to start. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone was there at one time.

If this is the case, it may be the best to find someone, an old timer maybe, to show him how to use it. It can be daunting to read about aperture, shutter speed, etc, etc, etc and try to apply it to the camera in hand. It's SO easy if someone can show him in person.

I have no idea where in the world he lives but if he is in Central Florida, I'd be glad to do the "old timer" thing for him. I'm sure there are plenty of APUGers that can do the same.

22. Ps1821

Ps1821 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah tkamiya your probably right! And it is pretty daunting! So I guess I'll look around! And thanks for the offer but I live in Utah! Thank you all I have been learning a lot!

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest JBrunner as an "oldtimer", but it might get me into trouble.

Do you make your own bread?:whistling:

24. Ps1821

Ps1821 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you asking me if I make my own bread?

25. mark

mark Member

Brunner likes bread, I like bread, hell who does not like bread. Kind of like Bacon. Yum bacon.

Lots of folks in Utah just depends on where you are. I'm right on the southern border, Brunner is in SLC, and I am sure there are a bunch inbetween that can help.

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm teasing a bit - JBrunner has a thread running right now about bread making.