Im moviing to IL and its got me worried...

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by TSSPro, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am moving from my South Carolina home to Carbondale, IL to go to grad school. I have been working as a professional photographer for the last four years in South Carolina and have acquired a lot of photographer contacts and friends that share photographic passions and even some local APUGers.
    I am worried, not because I'm loosing the business contacts, but rather the local friends and colleagues that have been plugged into the photographic community and region longer than I have.

Are there any APUGers in the southern IL region? Anyone know of regional photographic resources?

Thanks again APUG for the help,

2. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to live near Southern IL in Southeast Missouri. Southern IL was one of my favorite places to photograph, specifically places like Garden of the Gods, Giant City state park, Makanda township etc. I don't have any specific contacts for you though, perhaps try connecting at the local College, SIU.

3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, David,

I'm in southern Illinois, a couple of minutes from the SIU campus; unfortunately, it's the SIU-Edwardsville campus! You will definitely be in a more scenic part of the state. I seem to recall also that SIU-Carbondale has (had??) a photojournalistic department, so perhaps you'll have some resources close by.

Konical

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know much about the professional landscape in Illinois but I know a little bit about the physical landscape in the area of Columbia, SC. You come from a great place to take photographs! :cool:

I was born and raised in Pennsyltucky but I lived in Greensboro, NC for a couple of years. I did lots of traveling through the Great Smokies. My wife's brother lives near Columbia. I got married at Biltmore. (Asheville, NC) We honeymooned at the Moravian village in Old Salem. (Winston-Salem, NC) We returned home by way of a scenic drive up through Mount Airy, NC and visited the top of Pilot Mountain (AKA: "Mount Pilot" to all you Andy Griffith fans. :wink: )

If you have some good photos from the area where you live and work, now, you should be able to use them to promote your business in your new surroundings. Even though I can't give advice on making contacts in Illinois I can say that it might be a benefit for you to "play up" the fact that you come from such a visually rich and historically significant part of the country. Most of the battlefields of both the American Revolutionary War and the American Civil War are located within a day's drive from where you hail. (Guilford Courthouse National Battleground and Appomattox, VA, for example.)

It might help you get a couple of bonus points with the people that you meet.

Besides, us dumba$$ Yanks are suckers for the hospitible Southern attitude! :wink: :wink: :wink:

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Illinois, well it could be worse. Stay away from Chicago, sin city big time. :D

7. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except for Central Camera.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea Central Camera, one of my favorites, although I now buy from them mail order. Free shipping with a $100 order. Great service.

9. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TSS,
    I live a few hours north, between Effingham and Champaign, but hope to find time to get down in your neck of the woods at some time this semester.

10. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great replies- I think that being a studio lacky when I started out was easier than grad school. Man, its kickin me hard already. I appreciate all the input. I have made a few trips out to giant city.

Thanks again, and if anyone is in the area dont hesitate to get in touch.