I'm thinking about selling it all...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Stephanie Brim, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...and buying an M2. I kinda hate myself for it. I told myself I'd never let the Leica bug bite me so bad as to want to sell everything I had for one, but yeah...it's happened. The Canon 35/2.8 lens I just got screams for a nice body, and with an LTM to M adapter the M2 would be a perfect fit. I would also finally have my M body that I've been wanting for so long. Both my Kiev and the Nikon FE would go bye bye in an attempt to fund this fool's errand.

I can't even really tell you WHY I want one other than I've wanted one since the day I saw them, and holding an M4 in a camera shop really didn't help things. They just feel so solid. It's like a perfect fit in my hands.

I think I'm going to succumb to this madness. Others have gone before me, at least. Makes me feel a little better.

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Life is short. Buy the best you can afford. What else is there?

3. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephanie, if you have an XPan II I'd swap you my M6 :D

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephanie, I first held a Leica while at University back in the **'s and although over the years resisted eventually succumbed.

You won't regret it, my M3 is great to use, I wish I'd bought one rearlier, oh I did I'd forgotten but a Leica IIIa and Summar isn't quite in the same league.

Ian

5. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hehe. I actually have a logical reason for wanting an M2 over anything else!

I looked at three cameras that I thought would fit my needs best: the M2, the M3, and the M4-P. The M3 doesn't have a 35mm frame line, so I knocked it out of the running even though it's probably the best of the bunch for 50mm, which is my normal focal length. I'm wanting to use more 35mm, and also the lens I'd have for it is 35mm. The M4-P is a great camera, but I feel that too many frame lines make me want too many lenses, so I decided that one was out, too. And M2 it is. :smile:

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it's the thought of wearing specs on my M3 that has put me off buying a 35mm lens :D

Ian

7. Sofa King

Sofa King Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do it... you won't regret it.

I have a Nikon F100, a D50, and a Canon A1 and after I bought my M6 I don't think I've shot with anything else even once...

8. haris

haris Guest

I had same problem. So, not having money for M6 (or M7 or MP) I thought between M2, M3 and M4 (and its versions). I decided to go with M4-P. And finally I drop it all and bought Bessa R2A :smile:

It will set your mind at peace if you go to Leica forum (www.l-camera-forum.com). There you will very fast lose yours regrets why you are bugged with Leica bug. In fact, you will probably be harassed why you defend yourself from that bug at first place :smile:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  9. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Okay- here it goes. I like the 35/2.8. It is a small lens, almost too small on the M2. It's a perfect size for a CL. It's a nice, low-contrast lens and is sharp enough.

An M2 is going to run $600 and more. If it has not been CLA'd in the past 10~15 years, you'll need to drop another $200 for one. The FE and Kiev together might cover the cost a good CLA.

So what camera to get that is less expensive to match up with the Canon 35/2.8? You know that one- Canon P, Canon Vt, Canon VI-T, Canon 7. The FE and Kiev (Still have the Sonnar?) will get you into that ballpark.

Anyway, Fast 50s are better for Baby Pictures!

Brian

10. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course I have the Sonnar. :wink: I don't think I'd be selling the Kiev.

11. JeffGreene

JeffGreene Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stephanie:

I never thought I would end up with a Leica until I helped a friend upload his first first set of digital work to his new website. After working the weekend, he offered me his M6 for an embarrassing low price. I've never regretted it, and whenever I go out now, that's the camera with me. I realize your issue with the multiple framelines, but its never been a problem for me. Get that M2 and enjoy!

12. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you can do without the light meter the M2 should be great. The Leica lenses are so incredible easy to focus that they beat the autofocus. The only tough part is loading film. See Tom A's video on the subject. His trick is to fold the leader before inserting it into the take up reel. The fold hooks onto the reel.

13. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reality check: www.stevemccurry.com Shot with regular Nikons(F100`s the last few years, before he went digi), regular lenses(mostly 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4, with some 24mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.5 thrown in)........... A Leica will not help your photography in any way, be aware of that. It`s just a camera.

I still remember the fabolous M3 I held in a store a couple of years back, can`t forget the feel of it, just fantastic, what a piece of machinery! I`ll probably buy one one day, but I`m keeping my Nikon...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You could make me an offer on this, but then the 35 f2.8 would become moot.

16. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have Nikons.

I keep a Collapsible Summicron on my M2.

[​IMG]

17. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My first real camera (other than 110 instamatics) was a Leica IIIc with 50mm Summitar. There's something about the un-ergonomic shape, the heft for it's size (or lack thereof), and the sound of it's shutter that I've yet to find with any other camera. And, no matter how much it looks like a Leica, my Zorki doesn't come close to capturing that feel.

Adorama often has M series bodies listed on ebay - M3s seem to run somewhere around $500 (I haven't paid that close attention). I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from them (I've bought a fair bit of used and refurbished from them on-line and by phone) so I have no reason to believe there'd be a problem with their ebay stuff. In fact, I think they list something like a 100 day warranty.

18. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A great camera, or even a competent one isn't always necessary for a great image, nor will a great camera make a great image on its own, but a tool that pleases your spirit will help you do better work.

19. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried to make you an offer on the body itself. I really, really want that 35/2.8. :wink: It's complete. Finder, lens, caps, hard case. I can't pass it up at the price I paid.

Just emailed davela on the Bessa R, though. Hopefully it won't have sold. A meter WOULD be a nice thing to have.

20. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread forced me to take out my M3s (a Single stroke and a Double stroke), fondle them, and tell them I still loved them.

21. davela

davela Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own an M2, and have examined both double and single stroke M3's that have belonged to others. In terms of build quality I'd rate them all as extremely high, but I'd rate the DS M3 as the most impressive, with the SS M3 and M2 as close runner-ups. I don't think the SS M3 justifies a higher price at all. The M2 is probably the most practical one-camera-solution shooter between the lot, although an M4-P is even better in that regard.

22. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The M3 SS has slightly better eye-relief than the M3DS. The viewfinder eyepiece is slightly larger.

A Bessa R would be a great user body, and they are reasonable prices these days. The built-in meter is convenient.

I tell by cameras that I love them by loading them up and taking them out. Today was the Canon VI-T out for a hike in the woods with a 135/3.8 Tele-Colinar. The lens was in a box of "Ebay Stuff" for $12.

23. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tele...Colinar? You obviously do better on Ebay than I do. I only had that one good box of cameras. :wink:

24. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was at an auction a few years ago where the entire stock of a local camera shop were put on the block.I recognized a someone in the crowd who I consider the best photographer in town.I saddled up to her and after a bit of a chat mentioned that I was attending the auction in the faint hope of purchasing a Leica.She asked me why and made a most profound remark "It won't make you a better photographer.Sure your images may be sharper but it will not improve your technique.Work on the fundamentals".
    It still makes a lot of sense to me today.

25. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you don't like the results you get from a Canonet, you'd be fooling yourself into thinking that you like your results from a Leica better.

I like the results that I get from my Canonet.

Box of camera junk update--- Poor little Hi-Matic E. Got everything cleaned up and "electrons flowing" to find that the Meter is blind. So the shutter stays open forever. The lens is perfect, VF perfect, no dents. Maybe I'll find another body with a bad lens. The Hi-Matic E is the camera that "story goes" convinced Leica that Minolta was the company to make the Leica CL.

26. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Life is short. Do what makes you happy (without harming yourself or others.) If owning a Leica (or anything) can make you feel happy, get one, and ignore what others say about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008