"Image" 28-80mm - any more info?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mabman, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A while back I was given a K-mount "Image"-brand 28-80mm f/3.5 manual focus zoom lens in really good condition. It has a "close-focus" quasi-macro pull-out function as well. It has an all-metal barrel, and takes a 62mm filter.

I know the Image brand was the house brand of Black's Photography here in Canada and possibly elsewhere, and it says "made in Japan" on the barrel. Given who I got it from I suspect it was purchased/made in the mid-80's to the early 90's (he doesn't remember).

I realize the proof is in the pudding, and I haven't actually shot anything with it yet, but I'm curious as to who actually made this and therefore what other zoom lenses it might be comparable to. I can't really find anything via searching about it.

Anybody have an idea how I can narrow down it's provenance? I know given it's "made in Japan" it's likely Cosina, Tamron or Tokina, but I hate not knowing more about it :tongue:

Thanks!

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Post a photo of the lens!

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Could be Sigma, Cosina, Kiron or someone else. If Black's is still in business, you could ask them.

And a photo of the lens probably would be a good idea, because it could be used to compare it with other lenses from that era. Also, sometimes there are clues to its construction.

4. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, here's what it looks like. Excuse the hand and compression artifacts. I haven't cleaned the lens up yet, so yes, there is some dust and apparently some sticker residue :smile:

To be more precise, I should have said it's an f/3.5-4.5 lens as per the pics.

I'm fairly sure Black's has changed hands a few times since the 80's - while they still have some sort of 35mm c-41 processing and do sell rebranded Superia, in terms of cameras all of their stores are digital camera-only (and many locally are small shoebox stores with minimal stock at that). It's highly doubtful there is much if any institutional memory exists from that period.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
  5. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    probably best to ask on PentaxForums

6. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been looking online for an hour now. Thinking this lens might be a re-badge lens. Its a 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 MF - Macro, I found out that its not a Vivitar, Sigma, Kiron, Ricoh, Tamaron, Tokina. (either focal length, f stop, or macro does not have an exact match, or it looks way different)

Only Soligor made a 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 Macro(What i can find on top of my head), but it does not look the same, but it does take a 62mm filter. Take a look at this page on ebay.

I got this far, see if you can figure out the rest.

7. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Done and done. It doesn't match anything in their lens database either.

Thanks for the all the effort :smile:

9. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, the PentaxForums admin got it in one - it appears to be a rebranded version of a CPC Phase 2 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5. I found a pic here. It looks right, and has the right aperture and filter size. The macro function may have been added for the rebranded version.

I was also unaware of CPC as a brand. Apparently Pentax manufactured and sold lenses under this name, although they may have been different lens designs and not necessarily the same image quality vs. the equivalent Pentax-branded lens.

Learn something new every day :smile:

10. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "according to Modern Photography from August 1984, Cosmicar (a Pentax subsidiary in Taiwan and Japan) has manufactured a number of "CPC Phase 2" lenses where CPC stands for Combined Products Corporation."