Images to send not sure how to mount or finish them!

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Shaggysk8, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello, well I am doing a print exchange and I have done my prints on FB Warmtone but what is the best way to make them more substantial do I mount them if so could you please point me in the right direction.

I have never yet thought beyond the printing stage yet so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Paul

2. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am not sure which print exchange you are referring to, but the couple I have done here on Apug.. the prints were just that. Prints. No mounting or anything. That is how I sent my work and the work I received was that way. I am not sure there is any reason to stress about it. If you have a clear sleeve or even a kraft envelope, just put them in that, put a piece of card board on either side, throw it in a bubble or photo mailer and send it off!

3. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah its ones on here, I just wanted to give them people something other than just a print, its nice when things have a little bit of love. But at the same time if they get to the other end ok I am fine with that :D

Paul

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    size matters

it's a matter of what size is sent

5 x 7 or 8 x 10
    that is the question

5 x 7 fits in greeting card

6. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Several months ago (or maybe it has even been a matter of years), I read a complaint on APUG from someone who remarked that a print received in a print exchange had not been properly spotted. Ever since, I have wondered about the rules of these things. Is RC paper acceptable, or is only fiber allowed? Must prints be spotted, even if one is printing a bunch of postcards?

7. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have thought of print exchanges.. both the ones on APUG and some others I have been part of.. as just for the fun of seeing other Photographer's work. I have yet to frame any of them, though I have a stack on my desk in envelopes awaiting my attention. The postcards just get rubber cemented (photo-safe of course) into a Moleskine sketchbook to act as an album.

I think that you should take pride in your work, that is a given, but for someone to complain about technical matters unless it is a serious issue, I think that to be bad form. I welcome feedback, but if someone is going to complain about the choice of medium (FB vs RC) or if someone just did not have time to spot a print, then perhaps the point of a print exchange is being missed.

8. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I guess I have concerns I don't want to give something someone would be disapointed with, I am new to printing and wanted to do the exchanges to see other peoples prints and also let other people see mine and for fun. I spud like to mount them as I feel they need that. I have also only done 5x7 prints because I can not afford anything else but I feel it is a good print and have put effort into it, and that's is what counts to me.

9. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is the important part, if you have worked hard on it and feel that it is a good print, then good on you. I would not be as concerned as I think you are. I will point out one other thing, if you are sending out 5X7, if it is framed, it will probably be a desktop frame which mounting might cause problems with, since the easel is attached to the backing board and a mount board might be too thick. My personal opinion is that if I am shipping a print, then just do that. People will always want to choose their own framing materials, just a fact of life. If you were hanging it in a exhibition, then I would say to mount it,frame it, what have you.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had positive responses to my RC prints - I haven't printed on FB for decades. If you do your best work in RC, you won't be doing anyone any favours by switching to a new paper for the exchange.

As for spotting, my take on the issue is:

1) for postcards, if a reasonably close inspection results in my thinking that I need to spot the print, I either re-print, or go to another negative! :smile:;
    2) for other exchanges (which involve larger prints) I'll spot.

Matt