IMPORTANT : New Initiative From HARMAN technology Limited : APUG Feedback Requested

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Simon R Galley, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Apugger,

We recently invited followers of our facebook page to take part in a survey which 1,700 photographers completed on-line, it told us amongst other things that well over 30% of those who took part have no access to a darkroom, but would love to have access, if it was available near where they live.

The survey was designed to try and understand just how many photographers shoot film but are unable to access darkroom facilities. It is our belief that without darkroom access those shooting film don't enjoy the craft experience to the full extent, and of course miss out on the magic of the darkroom.

We want to try and create a worldwide web site, which HARMAN will invest money and resource in, which brings those with a darkroom into contact with those who do not, our belief and experience of APUG members is that they would wish to support such an idea and I have inserted a link below for you to take part in a survey that asks key questions. We want to hear and understand your views and opinions and test out our 'concept' in the real world, so if you think the idea is great, or mad ! please take the survey, all individual feedback is kept confidential but we will of course share an overview of our findings with the APUG community in due course.

If we go ahead with the idea we intend to give ABSOLUTE TOP BILLING to the amazing people who offer HIRE DARKROOMS and COMMUNITY darkrooms around the world who have already done so much for supporting our craft.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/APUGsurvey

With Many Thanks

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An excellent idea and needed as well. I've filled out the survey.

I already help new users on an adhoc basis it's fun to help others get started.

Ian

3. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Filled in the questionnaire but had reservations about other people using my facilities.

4. michael stevens

michael stevens Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Me too. Mine's in the loft so I'd be worried someone would break a leg on the ladder or fall through the ceiling!

5. Ghostman

Ghostman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Filled in the questionnaire. I think it's a great way to preserve a craft and keep a market open. I don't have a permanent darkroom at the moment, I have to install it in my kitchen for a weekend and then unpack it. I am looking for a space where I can set it up permanently. Once that is done I'd be happy to share facilities and knowledge.

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm happy to share knowledge any time, but my home darkroom is not accessible except through my primary living areas. I'd be more comfortable letting strangers (properly vetted and supervised) use it if I were able to give them access to it and it only. Maybe in my next house.

7. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not putting a damper on the idea, but don't overlook that there may be insurance/liability issues in letting other people use home darkrooms, particularly (but not exclusively) if a charge is made.

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'll fill the survey out too.

EDIT: but I can see how a darkroom is a very personal thing (home ones) and being one of the super tidy kind of person with my stuff, even if I had a darkroom I might not want to share it as probably no one would have as clean a room as I would haha.

I've processed enough by now that my dev tanks and reels should show some signs of use, but they look brand new. Haha

It's a really great idea, if nothing else it brings us in touch with others we might not normally know were right down the street from each other.

:smile:

Thanks Harman/Ilford!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same reservations about sharing my home darkroom.

10. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Survey done, and this is one of the reasons I could not share my darkroom, apart from the fact it is very small and my own personal space.

However, I am sure Simon et al are fully aware of this - H&S in the UK is somewhat of a hot topic most of the time. What may however be a reasonable outcome is that a database of accessible darkrooms could appear, and there will be a few, that would otherwise remain unknown.

11. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent idea.
    I'm willing to share if needed (and I have some control of who is using it).

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Gallery 44 in Toronto has an excellent facility with 10 4x5 enlargers, and a second room where you can put your own enlarge in.
    www.gallery44.org ... Simon these would be people you would want to contact.. Lise Beaudry, Stu and soJin run the facilitys,
    I believe there are many members here on APUG.

Project Basho in Philly has a wonderful facility.

Bill Schwab Photostock Facility.

M56 in Riverside Ca is hosting me to do a silver workshop in Sept.

I could keep on going but there are centers of excellence all around NA that I am aware of that should support each other.

If you would like I would forward your plan to G44. It is a hot bed of talented silver printers.

We do not open my private darkroom to casual use , ( all of my old assistants have access as they are well aware to put things back in the right place or suffer the concequences} Though it is used for group training and workshops, we just had Sandy King, Ron Reeder and Steve Sherman give workshops on wet work here. We also have at least 15 visits per year by young students where Paulette and I show them the magic of an image emerging.

Our workshops will be every year in May surrounding the Contact Photo Festival , which is an incredible month of photography here in Canada.

As you know we have taken the name defendthedarkroom.ca , we believe strongly in Harman's initiative and fully support you.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, your work and support of everything darkroom-related in Toronto really makes me want to find a way to move back there (either to study or work).

Simon, I've filled out the questionnaire, and although I'd be more than willing to share my knowledge (and home-based darkroom, if need be) I doubt I'll be getting any calls given where I am located in Japan. Place M in Tokyo is fantastic -- both black and white and colour facilities are available in multiple formats -- you might want to look into them too (I used them every time I went to Tokyo before I had a darkroom of my own).

16. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a darkroom at the university where I teach. I would certainly be willing to teach someone to use a darkroom without requiring they sign up for a class. The department asks for a small lab fee to cover the costs of the chemicals, but other than that, it is open to most people.

17. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Simon. I knew there was a reason I like Ilford film.

18. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I already help people out and also run courses.

Count me in.

David
    www.dsallen.de

19. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used my home darkroom to help a couple of people get started with film processing and printing.

If I could get to know a person a little bit first, I wouldn't mind letting them into my home to use my darkroom, but not strangers. That would not go over too well with 'the boss'.

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Even a guy like me? Hehe :tongue:

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

21. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In Norfolk, we have the Norwich Arts Centre which has a small darkroom for hire - Not used it myself as they didn't offer large format facilities when I was setting up. The Soup Lab (only appears to have a facebook page :sick:) was only a short walk away, but looks like they have had to move out a couple of months ago. May be they will set up elsewhere...

Unlike other parts of the UK, it looks like we have quite an active analogue scene in this area :smile:

22. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps on an international basis, Harmon could organize a central fund that all of us could contribute to in a small way. That fund could help subsidize already existing facilities that might be on the brink of closing, but would not have to with an infusion of cash, and the awareness that there are a lot of people who would be happy to have their facility available to rent at a reasonable rate (kept affordable by 'The Fund'). It's just a thought, but there might be some merit in considering it or some variation of it.

Took the survey, too!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  23. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Filled out the survey and I would be happy to let people use my darkroom. It's in a separate structure in my backyard.

However, where I live I think people would be far better served going to our EXCELLENT community darkroom, The Newspace Center for Photography. It is cheap to rent by the hour and the facility is amazing. By far the best community darkroom facility I have ever used on the west coast.

I applaud this idea by Ilford and think you should move forward with it. I also think Ilford would do well to really emphasize with people that "darkroom" doesn't necessarily have to be a dedicated space. That is a misconception I run into all the time with people interested in trying out film. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, with access to running water can at the very least develop their own film at home. There are also a ton of creative solutions for printing. Take a look at Ted Forbes as an example on YouTube. He put together a nice enlarger set up that can be wheeled around to any room of the house and tucked away in a corner nice and clean when not in use.

All I'm really saying here is be careful not push the false perception that a darkroom has to be this big grand type setup that requires a ton of extra space.

24. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did the survey and indicated that I would not open my darkroom since it's in my home. However, I built the current one so that it I would be able to teach individuals or give small workshops, and I have done a workshop. However, I have found that locally (North Texas) there just does not seem to be much market for this. There are more than me around that would gladly help a beginner ("vetted" as it were), but beginners are not beating down our doors.

A few local schools still teach B&W. The University of North Texas has quite a large photography program, for instance. But, I believe the last for hire darkroom closed up a few years ago.

25. Ghostman

Ghostman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or Harman could subsidize those involved in training people in darkroom printing with discounted chemistry and paper (within feasible limits and based on feedback). This would both promote Ilford chemistry and encourage the preservation of the craft.

The guy who taught me used Ilford chemistry so I use Ilford chemistry and If I ever help someone with printing I would most likely use Ilford chemistry and papers.

I have been discussing a similar prospect with a friend of mine in Switzerland who owns a photo store and lab. He has started offering courses on lomo and Ilford pinhole and developing to youngsters so that they can get turned on. The ideal would be to get the local community involved in locale funding and to get vendors involved in some kind of sponsorship (discounted chemistry for example)

26. ataim

ataim Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That is how I feel about it.