IMPROVED Reinhold Schable meniscus lens

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by johnielvis, Sep 28, 2013.

1. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    see pictures--I noticed that the material of the lens barrel, although black, would reflect light into the lens and cause flare-the opposite of the intended effect of the lens barrel. Therefore, in went some of the telescope flocking material. Unfortunately, the flocking is self sticking and was a pain to get in there so I can't take it out to do a "comparison" shot. anyways--this works for all lenses and lens shades.every little bit counts. See pics.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Johnny, I use flocked paper too, also with adhesive backing. I don't use the backing to attach it, though, I lay down strips of double-sided adhesive tape (these days 3M 3136) and then put the flocked paper, with its smooth backing, on them. Much, much easier than peeling the flocked paper's backing and trying to attach it to the tube.

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    AHHHH--BRILLIANT. I should have asked if anyone has an improved method to add flocking first. Of course that's going to be much easier since you don't have to have sticky material all around the inside to get it to work. THANKS--I'm definitely not going to forget that.

You know, I probably wouldn't have appreciated the advice as much unless I went through all of the hassles in using the totally sticky flock backing. I'll tell you it was very time consuming to get it in there towards the inside by the lens.

OH--and notice in the pics how there are reflections on the outside of the barrel but none on the inside--so that does provide a comparison of before and after.