In dire need of help.

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by thoroughlyannoyed, Feb 10, 2011.

1. thoroughlyannoyed

thoroughlyannoyed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been researching and talking to people about how to make a pinhole camera as a requirement for a class I'm currently taking. Yet, I can't seem to find the information I need. Some questions:

1) I have to use a sheet feeder, should the box fit snugly to it? If not, how should I attach it?

2) What kind of paper should I use? I use Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster to print, could I use this in the camera?

3) How do I calculate how large the pinhole should be?

I really have no idea what I'm doing with this so any additional help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what you mean by a paper feeder, so can't help you there. But the kind of paper you want to use is black and white photo RC (resin coated)paper. I use Ilford MG RC, cause I have lots of that around. Unless it's a class requirement, or you are one of those really detail- oriented types, just use the smallest pin or needle you can find to make the hole. Pinhole cameras should be fun! Enjoy it!

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, oh!

I see a problem!

Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster is a digital printing paper! At http://www.epson.com the search came up with
    You need Photographic paper.

Steve

5. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A simple search for "pinhole camera" on Google returns two "how to make" articles in the top three, so information isn't hard to find. While there are companies which manufacture pinhole cameras, the vast majority of them are home-made because they're so simple. However, you have to use real photographic paper or film in them. The inkjet paper you referred to won't work: it's sensitive to paint, not light. Using a pinhole camera is again simple and, since no two home-made cameras are exactly the same, something of an art. They are ideal for experimenting and playing around with, and are quite a lot of fun to use. Also simple and cheap, especially if you use photographic paper rather than film (because paper is simple to process and more tolerant of inexact processes.)

We have no idea what a "sheet feeder" is, what it looks like or how it works so we won't be of much help there, sorry. A photo would likely be helpful.

Mike

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two fine online resources are http://home.online.no/~gjon/pinhole.htm and http://www.f295.org/site/. A comprehensive library may have a copy of Eric Renner's excellent and comprehensive Pinhole Photography. If what you call a sheet feeder is what most of us call a film holder, there are examples of several ways to attach it to the camera on the second site.

7. Mal

Mal Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format