in need of dev. advice - ADOX 400

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tuonno, Dec 8, 2006.

1. tuonno

tuonno Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi all,

Have a couple of rolls of this film in 120mm but dont know how to develop it. Using Rodinal mostly (1+49) so would prefer that. Also, is it possible to achieve 200ASA, 400, maybe 800?

Cheers and thanx
    a.

2. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Common knowledge suggests that this is HP5 so use the times for it as a starting point.

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    12 min in rodinal 1:50

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "Common knowledge" is wrong in this case. It's not HP5, nor HP5+, nor is it Ilford Pan400.

There's a rumor it's APX400s, a film that never was released by Agfa.

Just for a change, I agree with Marko. You will of course have to adjust times to your own preferences, but that should get you in the ballpark.

5. Jean Noire

Jean Noire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay may be the problem is to avoid over development. Try development for about 25% less than recommended by manufacturer and use contrast control available in paper dev. Only a suggestion!
    John

6. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is apx400 on a diffrent base.
    What do you mean "for a change"?

7. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. Hervé V.

Hervé V. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes it's HP5
    The Efke 400 is APX400 ^^
    Efke is not Adox ! but sometime Adox looks like Efke . [​IMG]

9. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Adox 400 is Ilford HP5???

While I am not disputing this, this goes against all statements from ILFORD that (since reorganization) they do not "private label" film stocks. I guess that wouldn't stop them from just selling a whole uncut "pancake" of emulsion to someone, and let them relabel it.

10. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alex, the problem is that no one seems to be sure which film that is. As you probably know, Fotokemika does not have the equipment to make 400 ASA film, so all of their 400 ASA films are actually rebranded films from other manufacturers.
    Up until last year you could be sure that KB400 is old Ilford's HP5 - but that batch was sold, AFAIK.

A little bird in Samobor, Croatia, told me that the 400ASA film currently sold is actually Agfa APX 400 :smile:

In short, Marko's suggestion (12 min in Rodinal 1+50, at 20 degrees C) should get you in the ballpark - use it as a starting point, depending on your process. Develop one film for 12 minutes, and you'll see whether you need more or less development.

As an aside, I recently souped a roll of (new) Efke KB400 in Rodinal Special diluted at 1+50 for 15 minutes, and the film was a bit overdeveloped. The batch of Rodinal Special that I have actually has rather similar developing times as the "ordinary" Rodinal at the same dilution. BTW, Rodinal Special is actually Agfa Studional, if you need the dev. times.

So, I am inclined to think that with Rodinal 1+50 at 20 deg. C, your developing time should be anywhere from 12 to 14 minutes, depending on the contrast you need/prefer and your actual darkroom processing procedure, temperature precision, quality of water, agitation pattern, etc...

Denis

11. tuonno

tuonno Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK, will try....

Thank you guys, and Bok Denic ;-) vidim da si i ovdje, ha? OK, budem probao sa 12min pa cemo vidjeti. One stop push I should increase about 1 - 1.5 times right? And 2 stops push is about 2 times development time?

Cheers

12. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, everyone has their own process and system. I think that the general guideline is to add 30%- 50% developing time for each stop push. Not all developers react the same, and not all dilutions yield the same results, so there's no "universal rule" and "proper way" which would apply to all situations, all developers and all developer dilutions.
    It has been suggested that for push processing in Rodinal you might want to try higher dilutions (e.g. 1+100).

So many variables.... :smile:

My suggestion is to sacrifice one or two rolls of film and do some testing - you'll find more info if you search apug for "personal EI" and "film speed testing"....

Denis

13. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For pushing Adox\Efke 400 to 1600-3200 i use rodinal 1:50 35min, agitating every 5 min

14. Hervé V.

Hervé V. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have a look on this page : http://www.adox.eu/ADOX_Filme/ADOX_CHM_Filme/ADOX_CHM_Filme.html

You can see that Adox 125 and 400 are Ilford films .

Adox own probably large stocks from this films .

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  15. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, it doesn't say that they are FP4+ and HP5+, only that the recommended developing time and method are the same as for Ilford FP4 and HP5 - neither of which has been produced in several years (the Plus is important).

So now we know even less.

16. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ole, what improvents come in the Plus series of Ilford films?

17. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know what the improvements were, nor if they were really "improvements". But I do know that there are differences. Perhaps Simon Galley knows...

18. MMfoto

MMfoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If it really is APX 400 than you will have a hard time pushing this film with Rodinal 1:50. Agfa's recommended development time for this film is 30 minutes at 1:50. I use APX 400 a lot, and have switched entirely to the 1:25 dilution as the film is often very flat at 1:50. It is difficult to over develop this film, IMO. APX 400 in Rodinal, even 1:25, holds highlights remarkably well, and has moderate grain.