Inexpensive rangefinder with larger viewfinder / for crappy eyes

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by st3ve, Aug 19, 2010.

1. st3ve

st3ve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sold the Leica II both for monetary reasons and because my eyes simply aren't good enough for the tiny VF/RF windows on the back of it.

What are some RF models that have a relatively large viewfinder for a reasonable cost? Fixed lens is fine.

2. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would vote for the Konica Auto S2. Not sure how much better the VF is over the Leica II though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  3. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're willing to take a chance on a Soviet camera, the viewfinder on the Zorki 4 (and possibly other Zorki models) gives a life-size view and has diopter adjustment.

4. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Voigtlander R3a has a 1:1 view. I guess it all depends on what you call inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  5. takef586

takef586 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you wear glasses, then the best solution is the Zeiss Ikon, next the Bessas - which model will depend on which FL you use the most: R4 for 28mm, R2 for 35mm, R3 for 75mm and (just barely) 50mm.

6. Ryan!

Ryan! Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The diopter adjustment on the Zorki 4 is pretty nice. Bright viewfinder, too.

7. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How could you go wrong with a Koni Omega?

Mike

8. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. st3ve

st3ve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

Seriously though, I wouldn't say my eyes are *bad*, I'm just used to the larger SLR viewfinders as opposed to the smaller rangefinder windows. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

10. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yashica fixed lens rangefinders have very good viewfinders. The best of the bunch is Yashica Electro 35 GX which is as good as a Leica with a Summicron IMO. You can find them for $50-100.

The oddball camera with a great, large viewfinder is Retina IIS.

11. mr rusty

mr rusty Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or even the IIIs, which gets you interchangeable lenses. I have one, and apart from being heavy its a really great camera. Bit quirky. Mine is actually in NZ at the mo being CLAd by Chris Sherlock after the "string" broke.

Check it out http://www.cameraquest.com/ret3s.htm

12. argentic

argentic Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Canonet 1.7 GIII

13. macrorie

macrorie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For sheer viewfinder visibility, it is hard to beat the bright-line finders on Voigtlander Vitomatic cameras from the 1950s and early 1960s. Some models had rangefinders and meters. I have a scale focus model with a meter that is still quite accurate. The cameras are pretty heavy for their size, partly because the viewfinder design incorporates a big chunk of glass. The Color Skopar lenses are great.

14. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I vote Zeiss Ikon. It is probably the best modern 35mm RF out there for cost and features.
    Larger then life viewfinder. Perfect frameline choices. Slim. AE. And great loading style (I always get 38 or 39 shots on my rolls)

15. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Every fixed lens rangefinder from the 60s and 70s I've tried has had a significantly larger finder than the one on the Leica iiic. Most have been on a relatively similar band when it comes to size.

16. Jojje

Jojje Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My vote for Vitomatic! Whole frame can be easily seen even with glasses on. And very cheap. I take better pictures with it than with my Pentaxes.

17. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s get's my vote. Great VF, super sharp lens and you can go manual or AE.

18. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I concur about autofocus. I bought a nicely cla'd Olympus 35 SP for like $170 and only about 1/3 of my shots were in focus. I just couldn't see good enough even though the viewfinder had been cleaned and it's plenty bright. Maybe I just need more practice.

I picked up a Canon Sure Shot Tele for $3 at a thrift store and it makes nice pictures that are in focus. It's got a nice 40mm 2.8 lens on it that turns into a 70mm 4.9 lens with a toggle switch. It's noisy and plasticky and not near as nice to hold and shoot with as the Oly, but I get some nice pictures from it.

19. russelri

russelri Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Konica Hexar AF is pretty cheap, and the fixed 35mm f/2 lens challenges the summicron for a fraction of the price. It's also got a large and bright viewfinder.