Info about an odd roll film back?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by filmamigo, Nov 20, 2009.

1. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was recently given a box of 4x5 holders, and in the box was a curious roll film holder. I'm looking for any information about it (like what camera it was used with, film that might still be available or possible to reroll and adapt.)

The holder is the size of a 4x5 holder, and about 2 or 3 times thicker. The back has a very deep peephole, (ostensibly to read the paper back numbers?)

Inside the holder, this is what it says:

5x4 Graflex roll holder 1915
    Use # 53 Eastman Graflex film, Eastman Kodak.

I can't find any info about #53 film, but it looks like 4x5-sized roll film. The back still has empty wooden spools inside.

2. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Might be worth some money... do your research before being talked out of it.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've seen a 5x7" rollfilm back for the Press Graflex of that era, so this sounds like the 4x5" counterpart. It seems these films must have functioned like 120 with a numbered opaque paper backing. There is 5" aerial rollfilm that might work with a 5x7" rollfilm back, if one had two spools and could figure out something for the backing paper, but 4" might require slitting, if one were particularly enthusiastic about trying to use a 4x5" rollfilm back.

Then you've got to figure out how to process the film--maybe seesaw method or rolling the film face out on the outside of a drum.

4. KenFretz

KenFretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format