Info needed on F64 Photo Backpack **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bmac, Feb 6, 2004.

1. bmac

bmac Member

Does anyone know of a vendor in California that has the f64 or similar backpack on display? Trying to see if my rig will fit inside of it.

Brian

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

3. bmac

bmac Member

Anyone using the f64 bag for 8x10 or 4x5 monorail? I'm looking at the Extra large one, but by the specs I see on B&H, it looks like it might be a snug fit for my camera. Is there room for 8x10 film holders and a camera?

4. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

I think the f64 will only take a field camera, not a monorail. I read somewhere that the wisner 8x10 wood was used as the camera to build around when they designed the case.

I bought mine from the "f-stops here" in 1997. don't know if they are still in business.

5. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the big F64 bag for my 8x10 Korona. The Korona, when folded, is about 14" x 15" x 6.5" and fits well. I can't imagine a bigger camera fitting though. I put 3 8x10 holders in the outer pouch, though I've read that some are stuffing 4 in. In the top section I stow a 19" Artar (no lens board), light meter, dark cloth, filters, loupe, etc. I strap the extension rail to the outside of the pack. I do not use the two removable pouches that are provided with the pack for my 8x10 gear. I purchased the bag direct from the factory at a significant savings.
    http://www.f64camerabags.com/backpacks.html

6. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    whoa, these types of bags are exactly what I've been looking for :smile:

7. Francesco

Francesco Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have had one for years. You cannot backpack with them at full load for too long because they are not TRUE backpacks. They will hurt your back after a while as they put too much pressure on the shoulders (they do not have a frame). Plus, the zippers are difficult to use comfortably. Finally, the material will start to rip apart if you often use a full load when you go hiking.

Why I have one? Fits the overhead compartment of most airplanes.

8. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Francesco, do you know of a similar brand that has a frame for hiking? thanks

9. Francesco

Francesco Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Sean, this is what I am considering to replace my F64. A true backpack and one geared towards photographers hiking long distances. www.focustrading.se/Index.aspx

10. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder if you could graft the f64 pack to a framed pack. REI has a number of reasonably priced packs that you can detach from the frame.

Think that might work? Would certainly give you a true back-packing pack was that a redundant statement - well its past my bed time

- Mike

11. Jeff Dyck

Jeff Dyck Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mike, I use an adapted military surplus "Alice" pack frame for humping the heavy loads. You can easily attach an existing pack (or hard case for that matter w/ the available cargo shelf) with some compression straps and bungees. They are often available for a song on "that auction site". I see no reason why you couldn't easily adapt an f64 pack to it.

Jeff