Infrared Centenary

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Cor, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Cor

Cor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear all,

No sure if this is the right place, and I also take the liberty of posting a link in the B&W forum, but I got this note from a friend who is a IR enthusiast like me:
    Best,

Cor

2. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to know more about Wood's methods.Presumablyhe used dyes to sensitise his own plates?

I'm sure we mostly all rely on buying IR film to take IR images, but I wonder if there is a Do It Yourself route to sensitising an emulsion ourselves?

Also, I've heard very little about Ultra Violet photography, which I believe Wood's discussed and introduced at the same time. I would like to learn more about this.

3. R/D

R/D Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much for posting this ! I just switched to film but shot infrared extensively for years. its absolutely incredible this man discovered those light waves 100 years ago.

4. Cor

Cor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve,

Do not know anything about the methods Wood used, but I assume it must be by adding dyes to a "standard" emulsion. (perhaps you could ask Andy)

I did read about the feasibility of "doping" a standard film with IR sensitive dyes (after all EFKE IR film is said to be the PL100 film with added IR dyes). That would mean that you would soak a normal B&W film in the dark in a solution with the IR dye and let that film dry again in the dark.

Never heard about anybody doing that in practice though. Another problem is that these dyes seem to be very expensive and hard to obtain, and how much should you take? Offcourse PE would know, but if this is a fruitfull route..

Best,

Cor

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In sensitizing a readymade film with an IR sensitizer, issues of concentrations, times and fast drying show up. I thought about it but found it quite impractible. At least with IR-films around...