Inherited a Zeiss Super Ikonta IV

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My girl friend gave me her dads Zeiss Super Ikonta IV. It looks new. I think the shutter is stuck. The cocking lever is locked. I loaded 120 film in it and advanced it to the first exposure and the lever won't move. Should I take in for service? If so, is there a place in the San Francisco area? I'm sure I don't know what I'm doing. I have used mechanical shutters before because I'm a seasoned view camera user. But there's always something to learn :smile:

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ikonta's have a shutter lock which interfaces with the wind mechanism, sometimes they have a mind of their own :D

You should be able to cock and fire the shutter by bypassing the bodies mechanism, taht will tell you if it's the shutter or camera. (my Ikonts alongside the PC).

Ian

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be more explicit, in case the original poster has as much trouble figuring this out as I did, what the body release actually does is activate a little linkage that pushes a lever mounted on the bottom of the shutter (on the left-hand side as you face the camera). Even if the body's interlock is misbehaving, you should be able to poke this lever directly to fire the shutter.

It took me a LONG time to realise this, at the cost of a number of nice shots while I struggled with a balky body release! You may be quicker on the uptake than I am, but I thought I'd share the details just in case... :smile:

-NT

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations... Your GF is a keeper. I'm sure you will have the shutter figured out in no time...

5. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you still have problems with it you are in Luck. There is a fellow in your area going by the alias of Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain Photography in Davenport, CA.
    http://www.baldmtn.com/AINFOSHT2.htm

Give Ken a call even if all you want is a good laugh.

Congratulations... Your GF is a keeper. I'm sure you will have the shutter figured out in no time...

To heck with the GF the camera is a keeper the GF is now expendable.

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the referral! Camera repair people are a rare breed in an age of disposable cameras. Still learning about my new toy.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I do have a stuck shutter. Tried to trigger the shutter through bypassing the camera's shutter release on the body. Might have to take it into the shop. I want to thank all the APUGers for great advice. Can't wait to get my Super Ikonta working. Was lusting after a mamiya 7 but not any more.

8. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ikonta IV is an awesome camera! i have a Ikonta III in mint condition. (its the same as the IV without the meter)
    The rangefinder is bright and they are well made.

9. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yeah, every time this thread comes up again, I get hit by a wave of jealousy. :smile:

I tried picking up a Moskva 5 a while ago to satiate the desire for a folder like that. The lens is nowhere near parallel with the body though; I still have it around to work on but as a user, it is a dud so far. The Zenobia totally sold me on good folders but it is 6x4.5.

Ugh. Stupid irrational jealousy. :smile: