INKED Magazine

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by DavidS, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidS

DavidS <div class="smallfont"><strong><em><font color="44

INKED Magazine LAUNCH!

Well, after some minor production issues, my entire distribution network up in the air after a lawsuit was filed against Desert Moon Periodicals, preventing him from taking me on as a new publisher, and a dire need for me to get some higher resolution photos from some photographers, Inked Magazine's launch is right on schedule! We'll be hitting over 200 B Dalton bookstores all over the country on May 3, along with over 300 fine art photography galleries and over 1000 photographers! We have fine art photography galleries all across the country selling Inked's first issue along with a free 100 copy giveaway! Things are so crazy around here for the first issue, I almost forgot to post the launch of the website that's given me so much feedback and so much help and support. Thank you to all who have criticized and complimented Inked's ideas in the past and in the future. Feedback from the market I'm trying to reach, positive or negative is the most valuable asset I could ever have and I'm 100% thankful to all of you.

Inked Magazine's second issue should be out in time for Photo San Francisco, where I hope to see some of you in person! The second issue, we'll be reaching over 250 Borders and Barnes and Noble bookstores, plus hopefully get the number of galleries distributing Inked into the 3-digit range.

If you haven't subscribed, or you don't have a B. Dalton bookstore by you, log onto www.inkedmagazine.com to order your copy of our first issue for only $5.95.

2. gbock

gbock Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any news regarding the magazine? I subscribed months ago and haven't received anything yet!

Gerhard

3. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Gerhard, inked is no longer a sponsor, you may want to try their website. Thanks

4. James Bleifus

James Bleifus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've received two issues from them so far, the second arriving in the mail today. If you haven't received anything I'd definitely contact them and see what's going on.

Cheers, James

5. gbock

gbock Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, James. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into launching a new magazine, but ultimately, what counts is the product--and subscribers should be the first to receive it!

Gerhard

6. DavidS

Gerhard, I sent out a general e-mail to all subscribers saying that the first issue did not meet any expectations and that all subscribers will be given issue #5 for free if they subscribed to the old $16, 4 issue deal. I'm surprised anyone received a copy of the first issue...it was full of typos and was a rushed product due to several advertising commitments that had to made. The second issue, I hired a graphic designer, got quality writers and made an overall excellent issue that rivals the quality of LensWork and B&W. The third issue will be even better.

7. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Magazine publication is so very difficult. My wife is a magazine production person (editor, writer, layout, design, respectively.) I was a magazine picture editor and designer. It is not the myriad mechanical and artist contributor issues that get to us, it is the nighmare of distribution and subscription services. Distributors are the most persistent niche of impenetrable blood-sucking monopolists in the USA. Outsourced subscription services are the second worst because they can ruin your reputation - they are completely uncoupled with the spirit of client service. I'm ranting. I'll quit here.

There's got to be a lot of money behind INKED to get it even this far. More power to it.

8. DavidS

I've actually been contemplating getting rid of the subscription service that I have. I'm available on over 150 different websites for subscription, but A: receive 1000% more subscription orders through my own website which I only have to pay minimal PayPal fees for. These subscription services do nothing to help my magazine, anytime I want to make a change in the copy that talks about Inked it takes weeks to do, and then I have websites that just don't do anything and who are still selling 4x subscription rates at $16/yr, which I stopped doing and sent out an e-mail to them to stop doing weeks ago. With my current planning for the third issue, my sales effort to get advertising for the third issue, planning for Photo San Francisco and doing a major website re-design, I just don't have the time to sit down with the head of these guys and tell them "Hey, this is how I want it to work and if it doesn't work this way, I'm out."

I don't work directly with distributors. I work with a circulation broker who works with distributors. Yes, it's a middle man, but without him I wouldn't have been able to get into the bookstores I got into so early in the game. I was in Union Square the other day, just stood back and saw people picking up and buying copies of my magazine at the Barnes and Noble's there. No amount of stress or headaches or hiccups could ever compare that moment of finally seeing your finished product on the newsstands of one of the world's biggest bookstore chains in New York City with people reading it and buying it.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Any word on when I might see the mag? I havent received any issues yet?

If it is at B and N maybe I should just get it there and you could refund my subscription etc?!

It doesnt seem that your delivery service is up to par ... customer service for those with paid up subscriptions.... I certainly wish you the best in your venture but would like to see the magazine I purchased

10. DavidS

Everyone needs to know that the magazine went to print a week behind schedule and then had to be re-printed. So, I was two weeks behind schedule. The magazine was sent out via 3rd class mail on Friday, June 24. 3rd class mail takes an average of 5-10 business days to arrive at its destination. We lost a day with the July 4 holiday falling on a Monday, so that slowed things down a bit. All magazines should be arriving at their destinations this week. 3rd class mail allows me the least expensive way to send out magazines to a mass of people...and it's still not cheap. 75 cents per magazine, compared to 1st class mail, being around $3 to send out per magazine.

Again, everyone should receive their copies of the second issue by the end of this week.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is 3rd class the same as media mail? If not then look into it as I shipped a heavy box of books very cheaply once because it could be classified as media mail.

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Third class is for things like periodicals. Media mail is the new form of the old Book Rate, which was also known as "Special Fourth Class."

13. DavidS

I wish everything could be delivered within a day of printing. It would certainly make my life a LOT easier. I may offer that option to those who wish to receive the magazine at a more quicker pace.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Posted by Dave
    Rap News Network Staff
    6/22/2005 1:22:30 PM
    Seed Communication has announced the launch of Inked, a tattoo lifestyle and fashion magazine published on a quarterly basis.
    *Inked will cover the latest in art, entertainment and style and feature in-depth cultural and introspective profiles.
    *According to Inked, about 1 in 10 Americans has gotten a tattoo including numerous Hip-Hoppers and celebrities such as Allen Iverson, Lenny Kravitz and Angelina Jolie, who will grace the cover of the Inked test issue.
    *According to Inked Editor-in-Chief "Hawaii" Mike Salman, the new glossy hopes that its readership will reflect the wide array of personalities that encompass the tat lifestyle.
    *"Tattoos are a form of self-expression, a sort of personal message to the world: I will be heard. This is a significant and influential reader and readership that, until now, has been unadressed."
    *Salmon went on to say that the mag hopes to stay on the cutting edge of today's entertainment market.
    *"This publication is at the frontlines of what's next and who's hot. Inked identifies with the individualist, the innovators of style. Those who inspire and define today's pop-culture."
    *Inked is a quarterly publication and will launch this fall through Kable Distribution and will be on newsstands, in tattoo parlors, surf & skate shops and Barnes & Noble.

This out from Barnes and Nobel Is this Daves Mag?

16. DavidS

Hey, I'd love to hold a contest on re-naming Inked. The winner gets a free year subscription. I hate it when people assume I'm a tattoo mag...it does seem to make things confusing, I just haven't really thought too much about it, but if it confuses people, then by all means...

17. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It is confusing.....I checked B and N's releases for the launch of your mag and this is what I got....I will try and check in person this week and see if they have arrived here in the wild west.

18. DavidS

Dave, try BORDERS BOOKS AND MUSIC # 147 1445 SUNSET RD. HENDERSON, NV

Or you can wait a couple of days for the magazines you subscribed to, to arrive.

19. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am trying to figure out how two magazines, that were so close in release date, ended up getting the same name?

Dave

20. Andy Tymon

Andy Tymon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about Chiaroscuro?

21. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Dave,

I know where the Henderson location is.....I am actually closer to Rainbow - Las Vegas location....will look forward to the mag.

Do you forsee problems with the trade mark or title confusion?

Inked is a cool name----I do like RetroFocus also as suggested

22. DavidS

I had the name years ago, and incorporated under "Inked Magazine" in November, 2002. Something tells me that this other Inked didn't do that. They're due out in the fall according to their website "www.inkedmag.com"

The term Inked comes from the publishing world where unpublished writers get published...they get inked. The same terminology can be applied to use when publishing unpublished photographers...they too, get inked. That was the purpose behind the name...

23. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is an interesting idea. I live in Hawaii, and I generally get magazines a month or more after people on the mainland, primarily due to 3rd class mailing - hence, I only subscribe to magazines that I can't buy at the local bookstores (I'm still waiting on the latest LensWork and ViewCamera to arrive - probably sometime next month).

24. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Where?

I was just at a Barnes and Noble in Westport ,Ct and the magazine is not on the computer list of magazines. This is only one state away from NYC so what gives.
    If I can't see it first I won't subscribe. Update??
    Tahnks, Peter

25. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe you can stop them from using the same name. If people do a search and are inquiring about your magazine it becomes confusing. Also if for some reason the other magazine gets a bad reputation it can't help.

26. DavidS

Ok, I just called that B&N and even though my list says they've recieved copies of it, they don't show that they have any...even when I gave them my UPC code. For some reason my list doesn't give me the address for the B&N in NORWALK and WESTPORT. I do have addresses for Danbury, Fairfield, and New Haven. Inked is not distributed to every single Borders and Barnes and Noble, not yet anyway.

Save yourself the gas and buy a copy off of my website. I send my single copies out Priority Mail and have a bunch to send out tomorrow. www.inkedmagazine.com/inked/single.html.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.