Installing a Beattie screen on a Yashicamat

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pschauss, Feb 5, 2005.

1. pschauss

pschauss Member

I would like to replace the focusing screen on my Yashicamat with one which has a split image. Is this something that I can do myself? Will I have to readjust the focus?

Who else makes replacement focusing screens?

Thanks,

2. Neal Shields

Neal Shields Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't get me wrong I love my old cameras but:

If you go by relative costs, aren't your really installing a Yashicamat on a Beattie screen?

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Talk to Satin Snow (Dave), he can make you a focusing screen for the Yashicamat for a lot cheaper than the beattie. The only problem is he is so back up expect a 1-2 month wait for the screen to arrive.

4. rjs003

rjs003 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I love my Yashicas and I do have one with a Beattie screen which somebody installed before I bought it. I can't say that I would spend that much on a screen for a $100 camera. I have ordered a Satin Snow gg for my Graflex and if it works as well as I believe it will, I will be ordering a few more for the rest of my arsenal of cameras. Stay tuned if I like it you will hear from me. I'm not noted for keeping my mouth shut.

If what you are experiencing is a dark viewing screen, you might want to try cleaning the viewing lens front and rear and also clean the mirror. One of my Yashicamats was owned by a cigar smoker and you wouldn't believe what that did to the inside of that camera.