Instamatic 126 Cartridges

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by wblynch, Jun 10, 2010.

1. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Anyone still using Instamatic 126 cameras and film?

I know they may be too inconvenient anymore but I have seen where some people are reloading their cartridges with 35mm film.

Don't know if they qualify as "Toy Cameras" but I'm looking forward to playing with some old Instamatics once I can get them loaded up.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a low-cost and simple source of old 126 cartridges let me know. I'd like to find a few to try the 35mm thing and ebay people want insane prices for 20 year old film. It's a lot to pay just for a plastic cartridge.

2. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, this is an interesting question. One I thought about before a number of times too. Sorry I don't have anything to add but I'm going to watch this thread in case someone contributes some juicy information.

3. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Lanline

Lanline Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. w9cae

w9cae Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have tried to reload 35mm into a 126 cartridge. Problem was the sprockets affected the forward winding of my old Kodak X25. There is some videos of the process on YouTube.

6. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yea but it's an investment if you'll reuse the carts. Or try to find some at a thrift shop?

7. Lanline

Lanline Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been hitting the thrift stores - I missed out on Kodak $1 per cartridges at the last photo swap meet.

8. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    My complaint with Frugal Photographer is their shipping charge is unreasonably high.

I might order some from them anyway as my ebay luck seems to have run out.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I think the trick is to hold the shutter button down as you wind on. I have one Instamatic that will do that. You hold it down, wind twice then let up and wind one more notch to lock it in.

10. w9cae

w9cae Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Your correct and this is where the X25 fails as it automatically advances the film. The other Kodak 126 camera we have has corroded so it does not work. I suspect it was leaking batteries at some point.

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I went to two camera swaps yesterday but no joy in finding any 126 film, cartridges or even old cameras with film still in them.

I've been watching ebay for a while and that place is brutal. I was ready to give in and order from Frugal (over $40 for 3 rolls, delivered) when I found an Instamatic on ebay that still had a film in it. $10.98 later I have another camera I don't need but two cartridges of 126 on their way.

I'm also hoping there will be some old exposures on the in-camera film that may produce something interesting.

12. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool man! Hey keep the thread updated with how the 35mm loading process goes for you ... I'm interested in that.

13. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My wife shoot 126 recently. We were too cheap to have it properly developed and I don't so color at home yet, so we processed it as black and white. We at least got some amount of image out of it.

I've been meaning to load some fresh b&w film but hadn't got around to it yet. I'm curious how it the shots will turn out. :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I received two 126 cartridges. Both are Kodacolor-X which was C22 film. One of them was in the camera with about 18 shots taken.

To develop as B/W do I just use standard D76 and times?

I would like to try and recover the found film just for fun.

Thanks.

16. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some cameras like my Kodak X-35 don't need to sprocket holes to cock the shutter, but I do need to take every other picture with the lens covered otherwise I get overlapping frames. I have a few 126 cameras that I bought at thrift stores just to get the cartridges. I've reloaded them with 35mm no problem, but taking them apart is a pain. Also, you have to tape up the frame number window. Also, I put a layer of tape inside the cartridge as a sort of "pressure plate" since the 35mm film has no backing paper.

17. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I thought of using a section of backing paper behind the film but wondered if it would scratch the film during transport? I guess it will be easy enough to try it and see...

I want to try cutting the ends off a 126 cartridge, feeding the film through the center section with 35mm cans as feeder and take up reels. Thinking that the focal plane will be more stable. I don't know if there's room on the feeder side for a 35mm canister. Will try tonight.

My newly arrived Kodak 104 Instamatic does not accept the trick of holding down the shutter while advancing the film. I think perforated 35mm film is out for that particular camera. Non-perf wouldn't work either because something will have to trigger the shutter lock.

18. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, anybody think we could get The Impossible Project to next take up making new 126 cartridges? :smile:

19. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    The Year of the Instamatic.

2013 will be the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the 126 Instamatic cartridge.

It sure would be great if Kodak had a 50th anniversary event. Offer new 126 film with prepaid mailers for $10.99. Or $14.99 for film, processing, prints and Kodak Photo CD.

Maybe we can put a bug in their ears? It gives them 2 1/2 years to get ready.

20. w9cae

w9cae Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    126 format was very popular & my Kodak X25 has sat for a very long time. They were the original Holga. I would be very happy if someone brought to market B&W 126 film. But with the way digital is pushing ahead it hasn't a chance.

wblynch my X25 will not work with 35mm film it jams & winds to the end.

21. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    One thing I did yesterday was tape over 2/3 of the paper slot on my 126 backing paper. Then I taped 35mm Plus-X film to the paper and rerolled it into the cartridge. My theory was that only 1 or 2 sprocket holes would be open to catch the pin.

I put this cartridge in an old Instamatic 104 (very simple-minded camera) and so far it seems to work. I will use it this week and see what happens.

On another track....

I have a thought about a fun way to make 126 film. Using a bulk spool of unperforated 35mm film, create a roller device with a measured punch that will place a sprocket hole at the appropriate position. Roll the film through, punching holes and then load segments into 126 cartridges or modified 35mm spools.

Probably way more hassle than it's worth though, given the toy camera nature of Instamatics.

22. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Whoa, I just thought about my taped paper concept.. what an idiot I am. The paper, being on the back of the film, won't guard the pin from hitting the 35mm sprockets.

D'oh!

-Bill

23. Boggy1

Boggy1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  24. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I remeber correctly only a few years back ADOX had a 126 film...they are coming out with a new film and will even offer it in 110 so maybe there is hope if we ask !

25. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Cool. I got a 100' roll of 35mm unperforated Portra 160nc on ebay. I'm gonna try some.

I thought about making a roller with a spaced punch to make the sprockets. If it works I can do it inside the dark bag.

Now, where's those old Lincoln Logs????

26. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My first camera was a Kodak 104 I received for Xmas 1967 (I think), I still have it in great shape, and I have published with it. Both of my teenage sons have recently discovered the joy of analog photography, and of all my cameras, my eldest wants the 104; I would love for him to shoot with it at least once, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy some Frugal carts. I would be very happy if Kodak would put out some anniversary 126 b/w carts- Ha! Verichrome Pan!