Instant film clarification Fuji / Polaroid

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Surly, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Surly

Surly Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Forgive me if this has been beat to death, but I can't seem to find all the info in one place.
    Polaroid's website says there is no more instant film from them.
    Fuji's website tells me they only have packs in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4.
    I read here that 4x5 is available over seas from Fuji...?

So my Polaroid 545 backs are now fancy paper weights? Is there no film that will fit them?

What model Polaroid back will accept the fp-100b (and it's brethren)?

Will the FP-3000B work in my Polaroid 360? It used 3000 speed Polaroid films.

I have a pack back for the smaller films but I can't remember the model. I loaned it to my father and it's not here in the house.

I have been away from (analog) photography due to having kids and moving. I have no darkroom until I build another one. I thought I'd try some instant film out again since I have no darkroom but that's getting tough too, I see.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there are plenty of threads on this lately if you search: fp-100c45 on this site, you'll find more
    in short fuji makes pack film only that comes in 4x5 and 2 1/4x3 1/4 10 sheet packs. color only in 4x5 in the usa, b+w and color in usa for the 2 1/4 size in fuji's holders or older p roid holders but nothing for your 545.

3. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A quick check on Freestyle, B&H, and Adorama show that FP-100C45 (100 speed 4"x5" instant film) is in fact available in North America. For some reason, Fuji does make and distribute other films in 4x5, but only in Japan. You can get them from Japan Exposures (formerly Megaperls) (anything ending in "45" is 4x5 - one of the few companies with fairly obvious naming conventions :smile: )

As for your other questions - yes, the 360 will take the "regular"-sized pack film such as FP-3000B.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't know much about the backs...

4. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Polaroid 360 and the Fuji 3.25x4.25 pack films work well, but I had to bend the springs on the inside of the Polaroid back because there was too much pressure on the first 2 or 3 exposures of the Fuji pack (they could not be pulled out without tearing). After that, both Fuji and Polaroid pack films work fine.

5. Surly

Surly Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you.
    I'll dig out the pack back at my father's and see what fits it. I hope it will fit on my Super Graphic.
    I also am happy to see the 360 is not dead. My company literally threw away a pile of them and I grabbed it out of the dumpster. It's no Technikardan but what a fun camera just to mess around with. Okay, I'm rambling...Thanks.

6. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow...they threw away 360s!? How very sad! I got mine from a former NASA employee who used that camera for his work. It is a pretty awesome camera! I use my RB67 with 7.2cm square Polaroid back, but there is something about getting a full frame image from the 360. Keep yours safe and have fun!

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have asked similar question regarding my Polaroid 545i and my Kodak ReadyLoad backs. It's too complicated finding the thread on my iPhone, but basically i was told you can also use Fuji QuickLoads (not instant film) with the 545 apparently. So there is some utility for it beyond instant film.

After the QuickLoads are discontinued, it will make nice paper weight.

Regards, Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
  8. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 545 back is not that useless if you are willing to use Fuji Quickloads...Velvia/Acros etc. Not sure they will be discontinued any time soon. Not instant film, but not quite a paper weight yet. K

9. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji FP100C (and FP100B) fit the Polaroid 405 backs.
    Fuji FP100C45 etc fit the Polaroid 500 back.
    Fuji QuickLoads fit the Polaroid 545 (545i) backs.

All three holders work with Graphlock backs on view cameras. The 545/545i can work with a spring back if it will open at least 3/4".

And depending on the exact shape of the back and groundglass retention method, those backs without Graphlock clips may be able to use the 405 and 500 backs with liberal and creative use of large rubber bands.

10. namke

namke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 'Pack film' Polaroid back to take FP100C45 is the 550 not the 500 (that was the forerunner to the 545)

11. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, bad typing on my part. You are correct it is 550, not 500. At least I got 405 corrected! I remember typing that as 504 originally! That looked wrong when proofing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  13. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Polaroid 550 backs have become premium items on the used equipment market. Two years ago they were selling for $35-$50. Now its more like $200-$300.

14. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alex, any progress with making fp-100b45, b+w pack film a regularly stocked item here in the states?
    I've been meaning to email fuji again. I love the 4x5 color but having some b+w would be awesome too.