Instant Film is Addictive!!

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by RattyMouse, Oct 4, 2013.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got back from a holiday in Xi'an China. I bought both my kids Fuji Instax cameras and gave them 5 boxes of film. I swear those cameras are just amazingly fun. I had to really restrain myself from using them too much. I snapped a few shots with them and just love waiting for that film to develop. I may have to try this new Instax Neo, which is a much more serious Instax camera.

My shooting was nearly 20 rolls of various 35mm and 120 film, but I have a long wait to see what all comes out with that, unlike my kids shots!

I really want to get into instant film.

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great---nice introduction to a fun dimension of film photography. And isn't Xi'an an enjoyable place? I had a great time wandering around the night market and the Muslim quarter when I was there a few years back.

-NT

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Xi'an is a pretty dirty city so that was a bit of a shock to us. Dust and dirt everywhere. Plus we went during a national holiday which meant ENORMOUS crowds. Not the most relaxing trip we have taken, but we're still glad we went.

4. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Instax is great, I very much enjoy having that camera around for fun shots that I likely would never have printed if shot on roll film.

I hope they release a similarly enhanced Instax Wide camera to match the Neo.

5. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that is what I hope for too. However, I think Fujifilm is waiting to see the results of the Neo mini camera to see how well it sells. That's making me think that even though I want the wide, I should get the mini.

6. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear you had a great time! I'm now waiting for them to release an update to the instax wide camera!!! Its LONG over due!!!

7. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just spent the last 2 weeks in Malaysia. I am really very suprised by the number of ads I have seen on TV for Instax Camera's.

The sure are popular over here!

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only know of two photo-shops over here where Instax cameras are on the shelves.
    Shops are very reluctant to order Instax films or cameras. With reason! They need a large population around of people informed of that system. And that is missing at most places.

9. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Buy one and get out there shooting!!

:smile:

10. jeremy15

jeremy15 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahhh........so close to getting an Instax Wide 210........found a really good bargain.

11. studioesper

studioesper Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    You can always go for newer 1980's manual exposure packfilm cameras such as Fuji Fotorama FP-1 or Konica Instant press.

12. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are really into film pack, you could check out ebay where there is a guy name option.8 who takes those old polaroid land camera and retrofits them with better lenses or even turns them into full manual camera sometimes surpassing even the Polaroid Land 180 series.

I bought one from him and his handywork is pretty good, no complaints there. I think he has a websites where he can do custom jobs on Polaroid land cameras and etc.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never seen any japanese peel-apart-film camera over here.

14. alex gard

alex gard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi I have a question regarding Instax 210 'wide' ; is it possible to get b&w film for this camera?

15. verian

verian Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't believe you can, no.

16. Richardspicer

Richardspicer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    you could scan, desaturate, and order a print. :tongue: not the same, I know - but it's an option.

17. alex gard

alex gard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wrote them a strongly worded letter suggesting they should make b&w instant film

18. DWO

DWO Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got an Instax Neo 90 today. My children loved watching to pics develop. It is pretty addictive, I am looking forward to taking this to events and parties and handing out pics to people.

19. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took the Toyo down to the shack on the weekend with my new 617 back, a 6x7 and 6x9 back, plus a few rolls of Velvia and PanF, and a whole lot of 4x5 holders full of Velvia and APX100.
    I also threw in the Polaroid back and a pack of FP100.

Guess which one I shot more and what came back unexposed?

20. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I love Instax, and it has been very popular at our shop in San Francisco. The new 90 is great, and I agree they need a new version of the wide (and black and white film!). Our shop closed this month, but over the three years we were open, we sold hundreds of Polaroid pack film cameras, and thousands of packs of Fuji Instant. Sadly, the peel-apart era may be ending. Fuji has discontinued FP-3000b (which was the best of their instant films!) and I think FP-100c will meet an end someday soon.

If you are interested in quality photography using instant film, you might want to support the New55 project, which is trying to go into production with a new version of Polaroid's famous Type 55 black and white film. More info here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobcrowley/new55-film

21. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I know at least one shop that carries Instax cameras and film here in Honolulu, and I've even seen one "in the wild" being used by the mother of one of the kids in my son's first grade class.

It would be great if someone would come up with a Graflok Instax back. I like shooting the peel apart pack film, but all the trash it generates while you're shooting is kind of a nuisance.

22. DWO

DWO Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was really hoping that a new version of the wide would appear but I got tired of waiting. I'm sure that now that I finally got the mini the wide will appear shortly! :D

I would love some B&W film. Have they ever made Instax B&W?